NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VPN Access
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:11 pm 

From what I'm reading, I think I should be able to connect and access my Nasbox via VPN. But my first attempts to do so have failed :oops:

I think the issue may be that I need to forward the correct ports to the Nasbox. I'm using a buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router, that has a built-in VPN server.

Before setting up my Nas-box, I did previously connect via VPN while away from home, and access the shared drives on a WinXP machine. So establishing the VPN connection seems to be ok.

But since the NasBox is using a static IP address, and not being assigned one by the router, I think that the ports are not being opened to the Nasbox?

Am I on the right track? Suggestions perhaps?

Update:

Actually, I just learned that after connecting to my VPN, I can access the Nabox via FTP and the web brower by typing 192.168.xx.xxx. But the mapping of the nasbox share'd folder doesn't want to work. Is there a special way to map the network drive?

FYI.. This is on a laptop that is on work domain, and does not sure the same workgroup as the home.

Update # 2 !

Seems I'm solving my own problems today. :) I'm 99% sure my Office IT has disabled some network settings, where I can't map to shared name. Remapping as follows works, and I sit here 1,000 miles away am able to connect to my home shares.

net use z: \\MyNasBox\Shares /user:domain\username

To:
net use z: \\192.168.XX.XXX\Shares /user:domain\username