NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:08 pm 

Also, to try and help trouble shoot, when I get back home tonight, I'm going too.

1. Double check the BIOS setting. I didn't anywhere to change the ACHI settings, but will double check.

2. I've read that all 8 drives should work with Windows. So, I'm going to install Windows7 on an HD laying around, and see if it finds than finds drives connect to the lower 4 drives (which is controlled by the marvel chip)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Can you also get the PCI IDs reported by the Marvell. That would be very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:48 pm 

Tony wrote:
Can you also get the PCI IDs reported by the Marvell. That would be very helpful.

Sure, but I'm unsure on how to find that. Is that from within the bios or somewhere else?

Rechecking the bios, I can only enable and disable the marvel sata chipset. There's no settings to change it between IDE and ACHI. Seems the VIA chipset (north bridge has that).

Also, I did note that on the boot up, I can see drive that is connect to the marvel chipset being detected.

I've got Win7 installing on it right now as well on the 'North' bridge, and the will add a drive to the marvel controller and see if its found. Getting late here though, so may have to finish it in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:45 pm 

ok, reporting back on some more info.

First. On the install of Win7, the installation did not find any drives connected to the Marvel Sata Controllers. It wasn't until after completing the installation, the Sata controller was shown in the device manager, but was missing a driver.

After some searching, I found the driver for it (as the Windows update doesn't find it). After installing the driver, an HD connected to the Marvel Sata is found. I was able to format, and add files to it, etc.

I was able to setup a Raid configuration for the drive as well in the Bios.

However, after changing back to Naslite, which is booting from the compact flash in the machine, and not an HD, the drives connected to the Marvel contoller isn't shown. When looking at the storage options, it only finds the HD that has Win7 installed on the North Bridge, and not the HD on the Marvel controller.

I took a screen show of the PCI id's as well as you asked. I hope that helps some, as I can't think of why its not showing in naslite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Will you mind testing a custom version?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:08 am 

Tony wrote:
Will you mind testing a custom version?

I'll test anything you want in trying to figure this out :) . But again, back in the office till about 6pm EST time today, so can't do much until I get home.

I'll send you PM on an email address to send something to, unless you have a link to an iso, etc to download and test with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:35 pm 

Tony, your amazing!!

As I mentioned in my PM. The updated custom version you sent works like a champ. The install found the HD's connected to the Marvel drive, and then found them again after the install was completed.

So now I 've got naslite installed on the compact flash, and have 8 drives to begin filling up.

One last question for you. Do you know if that custom fix will make it into the M version to continue using all drives and have upnp ability?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:59 pm 

Hi ptmuldoon and Tony

I started to test FreeNAS 8rc4 on the same system as ptmuldoon, the VIA NAS8700 board and ran into some similarity problems, almost, I can see the disks, but every time I import a disk from Marvell controller driver, it shows up with error:

vol-test2 /mnt/vol-test2 Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space

The disk is there, but I can't us it, I can set up a share, but not change the settings for the share...

so my question is: did you make the fix for freeNAS 0.7 or...

regards Sune
Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:05 pm 

assuming you are not SPAMMING then you would be better asking your question at the freenas forum - not here

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:41 pm 

SuperGrunk,

As you can see from the post before yours, Tony made some changes to the software that fixed the issue. These changes are typically rolled into the next update.

FreeNAS is just that, free. You need to fix your own issues with them since you have access to the source and the command line. Help for products other than NASLite will not be forth coming from these forums.

If on the other hand you would like to purchase the software and are looking for the better performance that NL offers then you are encouraged to purchase. Though Tony and Ralph sometimes take a bit of time to get back to you, they do take care of most issues in a timely manner. This is to be expected from a non free product.

Good luck with FreeNAS.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 am 

Sorry my mistake

regards
Sune