NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:25 pm 

First post, I'll try to keep it short. System: old Gateway Pentium III 500mhz, 640mb ram, 1 - 20GB HD (boot drive), 2 x 120GB West. Dig. IDE connected to the mobo, 5 x 250GB West. Dig. IDE connected to a Highpoint "RocketRaid 454" controller card. I had first installed NASLite-2 (v2.11) with just the 120GB drives to see if it would work with this system. I then installed the controller card & the 5 x 250GB drives; ran the Highpoint Bios Setup Utility and set up a RAID 5 volume. Booted NASLite; it sees the 5 drives as individual drives. Ran the CORE3 HDT to see if it would show compatible hardware. Under PCI devices, CORE3 sees the Highpoint card (twice??) as an HPT374. Under disk drives, it sees 4 drives: drive 0 (20GB), drives 2 & 3 (120GB), and drive 4 (900+GB). Obviously drive 4 is the RAID volume. Re-reading the manual, I decided to reinstall NASLite. After going thru the whole setup again, it still sees the 5 x 250GB drives as individual drives. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong here, or am I missing a driver or something? Thanks for any help you can give me. ljames.

Last edited by ljames44 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:39 am 

I would advise that you check the NASLite-2 hardware reference document - I don't think that the RocketRaid card is recognised as a hardware RAID card. If, as you suggest, CORE3 renders the card successfully as a hardware RAID device then I think you will have to wait for a version of NASLite-2 with CORE3 as the kernel.

ps. It should be worth the wait.