NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 am 

In order to improve performance on my already fast NASLite Boxes even more, I decided to try switching to using the NFS export option (R/W).
(This was suggested by Fotoware, to speed up the performance of their Index Manager service, which allows Fotostation to search through very large photo selections at high speed. Normally it is meant to index data residing in a Windows server/ NTFS environment, but here it currently has to access my NAS boxes, through SMB. I should see considerable improvements in terms of update speed, if I would mount NFS shares, as far as I was told.)

To be able to read the NFS exports, I searched for a solid NFS Client for my Win XP boxes and decided to give DiskAccessLite a try: http://www.javvin.com/diskaccesslite.html

(If anyone can recommend an open source or a cheaper, alternative solution for a Windows NFS client– please let me know! I had considered using MS SFU, but the performance seems to be lacking and troublesome from what I had found out thus far)

This NFS protocol/ connection being new to me, I thought I'd ask here, before I ruin something:
How should I configure the NFS client (on a Windows XP machine), for optimal interaction with the NFS Export of NASLite?

1) Authentication: The client is asking me
- for the UID and GID (I have tried "NAS-User", but am not certain what to use here, since I don't know a password)
- for the NIS domaine Name/ NIS server, or the PCNFSD Server
If I enter the IP of one of my NASLite Boxes in PCNFSD, the client reverts to the anonymous UID -2, GID -1 and factory default mount options and does actually connect, but I only see ONE NASbox here - not the two I see using SMB.

2) Then there are “Mount Options Properties”: http://www.javvin.com/NFSdoc/InstallingConfiguring.html
- Hard mount seems to be preferable over softmounting, correct?
- How should they be configured to optimally interact with what NASLite is putting out as NFS?

3) What should the Read and Write Buffer size be for NASLite, in a gigabit network?
4) What should the caching settings be?
- Is remote write caching ok with NASLite?
- Is local caching recommended?
5) Should file locking be enabled?
6) I am also wondering about symbolic links to the NAS, if this is a good idea, or if there are any potential pitfalls

7) Additionally, there is also the issue of secondary streams/ multiple data streams - I am unclear how this affects this interoperability (See e.g. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319300)

Data Integrity is crucially important to my 100.000+ images… , so I really can’t afford to mess up anything through wrong cache/ permissions settings or anything.

I would really appreciate knowledgeable help in this. I have searched very intensely, but found that this matter is only sparsely documented.

Thanks in advance for solutions that will speed up things, and don't end up in corruption.