NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nic Help
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:42 pm 

I am in the process of adding a NIC card to my system due to what seems like a NASLite problem with the MB's onboard nic. (Copying large files causes a lockup on the system). Everyone has been saying to get the Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter as the nic but there seems to be many types out there. The NL hardware reference guide doesn't really give you names/numbers of nics that can be found using google so I'm kinda stumped as to what I should be buying. Is a card like "Intel PRO / 1000MT High Profile Dual Gigabit Ethernet" acceptable? The part number listed is Part # C49769-002 which doesn't match anything in the reference guide. Before I go and buy this I want to make sure it will work and I will be able to copy large amounts of data (11GB of pictures) in one big copy vs having to break it up as I do now.

Thanks

Lance

Post subject: Re: Nic Help
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:27 am 

Hi Lance, the MT cards are not supported as far as i can tell. If you look at the hardware ref on page 6 you can see that naslite supports the 8254* series of intel gige nics. The MT cards use the 8490* chipset and not the 8254*. The CT, GT and PT cards use the 8254* chipset so those should work fine. Check the intel site for details, but that's pretty much the storry.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:08 am 

Ahh thanks that is the info I need to know. I could never get any info on what the chipset numbers were when I went to buy. That gives me a heads up. Thanks.

So what is a good external NIC to put in here that isn't going to cost alot. I'd like to stay at $30 or so. I have this in an old computer so it needs to be a PCI not PCI Express. I've read on here that the intel ones seem to perform the best.

Lance

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:44 am 

I found some posts on this card (PWLA8391GT) that make it seem like a good card to go with. So that is the one I'll be ordering I think Thanks for the info on what cards to use.

Lance

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:36 pm 

Euh,
I can confirm, from personal experience, that the MT card does work with NasLite

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:51 am 

Thanks for the help. Is there something special I have to do when I install this nic? I put it in and disabled my onboard nic and NasLite (2.04) is reporting no nic was found. Is there something special I need to do to get it to find the nic?

I know once it finds it I have to do another hardware key right? I gotta figure out how to do that as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:16 am 

Just a bump...Need to get this working before going to another OS as I need to transfer large amounts of file at one time and I can't with the onboard nic.

Anyone know why the nic (PWLA8391GT) would not be recognized by NasLite? When I plug in the cable I do see the lights showing that the connection is hot. But NasLite (v2.04 02-2007).

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 pm 

usual advice from others who know much more than me is try the nic in another pci slot and be sure to turn off all other stuff that are not needed - parallel port serial port etc as that frees irqs

also turn off the onboard nic in bios

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:23 pm 

I turned off the onboard nic but didn't try another PCI slot. I assumed since I was getting a green light showing that the pci slot was at least getting power to the card. I will try that tomorrow and see how it goes. If anyone else has anything else to try let me know and I'll attempt it as well. Really need to get this working as it seems to crash more often now.