NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:24 pm 

Hi,

I've been using the CDD for several years, and it has given me excellent service.
When I now try to upgrade to NasLite-2-HDD (version 2.06) , it's impossible to boot after installation.
It's an old Dell XPS D233 with a Seagate Barracuda as Disk-0.

I've tried to disable everything connected to IDE, various combinations, but no luck. It's either "Operating System not found" or just a blinking -.

The boot disc is fine, the installation proceeds OK. After booting from the CD again, the size of Disk-0 is exactly the same as the Disk-1 (same type/size). Shouldn't there be any indication of the installed SW on Disk-0?

The installation worked just fine on another, newer Dell.

Any hints or do I have to keep using the CD/Floppy.

Happy Easter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:47 pm 

The NASLite-2 partition is tiny - circa 8MB from memory.

Have you checked the boot order of the drives? Alternatively, connect only 1 HDD at a time to allow you to determine which one should be first in the boot order.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:18 am 

Hi and thanks!

I've just one HD on the IDE-cable now, the one already with the Naslite on it, the install script also indicates this (Disk-0). Install again but still "Operating system not found". Only the Hard drive as boot media

I have two SATA disks as well, now they are Disk-1 and -2, however don't expect them to be the boot disk?

The installation clearly indicates that it's the IDE-disk I'm installing on, type and size in the installation gui corresponds the disk.

I'll keep struggling...

Bye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 am 

It sounds like you are assuming a lot an verifying little. Make sure the bios is set to boot from the drive you have naslite installed on. Don't go by what the installer tells you. It is not what's doing the booting. Make sure the bios is booting the right device. If that fails, then try booting another os from the same ide channel to make sure the bios and the hardware are doing their job. Otherwise, if you keep hoping to stumble on to a solution you're in for a lot of frustration.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:41 am 

Hi,

I'm actually not assuming anything but working hard to get forward. I rely on the facts from the installer: that the NL is installed on Disk-0 (Seagate) which is the only disk on the IDE. The IDE is detected first according to the Bios printouts. It also contains a partition of 32 MB which should be the NL.

I don't dare select another target, the WD or Samsung disk, since that's where my backups are. The installer informs me that it will clear the disk.

Of course I have the Hard Drive as only boot media in the BIOS, changed config to directly point at the Seagate disk, however that just makes clicking noise from the disk and nothing on the screen for a long time.

Will use another PC for the next NL-HDD server

Happy Easter, still

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:20 pm 

It may be that NASLite-2 renders the drives in a different order than the BIOS is offering them for boot. You could try to remove data and power to the SATA drives and boot with the PATA HDD only attached.