NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: R 2.11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:23 pm 

I am very occupied, maybe being a little lazy, but certainly afraid upgrading an existing, reliable NASLite 2.06 to R 2.11.

I would like to ask anyone, but Ralph or Tony especially to (1) tell me why I should upgrade and (2) how to do that without endangering my valuable data.

Thanks very much.
PieterB

Post subject: Re: R 2.11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

1. There is no real reason to upgrade unless you are having problems or there is something useful for you in the latest release. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is really not a good reason.
2. Upgrading is easy, especially with v2.11 since it includes a much-improved update option in the installer.

Hope that helps ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:12 pm 

Thank you, Tony.

The only 'problem' I experience every now & then, is a bad functioning backup, from the RAID-1 array to a third internal SATA HD. It happens when there is certain data activity (it is not a consistent bug, sometimes there is no problem) from one of the attached computers to NASLite. I then have to reboot the NASLite box, because it keeps bleeping.

If the new release solves that, I would be grateful. If not, you're right: no upgrading because of upgrading.

Thanks again,
PieterB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:33 am 
Site Admin

Actually, what you are seeing is absolutely normal and not a bug. Rsync works by first auditing the files on the source and destination drives, comparing the two and then making the necessary changes to the destination with the purpose of creating an exact copy of the source with a minimum of data transfer. If the actual contents of the source do not match the results of the audit, then that would be interpreted as an error.

By having a client manipulate the source while rsync is active, you are potentially changing the source after the audit and before the actual transfer thus creating the discrepancy.

At any rate, if that occurs, it is not a big deal since next cycle will fix the discrepancy. The beeps can be disabled/acknowledged using the admin menu - Option-3, Option-G, Option-5. That will stop the beeping until next time a mirror error is detected.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:16 am 

Quote:
At any rate, if that occurs, it is not a big deal since next cycle will fix the discrepancy. The beeps can be disabled/acknowledged using the admin menu - Option-3, Option-G, Option-5. That will stop the beeping until next time a mirror error is detected.

Yes, that helped very much.

Thanks again &
HAND

PieterB