NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:41 pm 

(posted on srong bb earlier - my apology)
've searched and not found an answer for me.
I downloaded, burned, booted CD, installed, licensed and unlocked NASLite HDD V2.06 and everything worked smoothly, except I cannot ping, nor telnet in, or FTP in or access the box in any way.

The modem/router/gateway can show all attached devices. When I boot up XP, or OS/2, or another XP system, they each show a separate connection and user name, along with the ip address, stats, etc.

These 3 systems have been working as is for over a year.

My test system is a 1gb, with 80gb drive, and Davicom 9102/A PCI fasterethernet on the MB.

I can use the same box (by swapping removable drives) with XP and OS/2 and they attach to the network just fine.

When I put in the NASLIte2 drive and reboot, there is no connection made. I have tried different IP addresses - 192.168.0.64 and higher.

My home network settings for the private network has DHCP enabled with a range of 192.168.0.64 thru 192.168.0.254 (and I don't know why this is specified).

I've powered off everything, rebooted with NASLite first, and with XP first, but the results haven't changed.

One last thing - NASLite has an option for tools and utilities - when I take that option there is a choice (#9 ) for the network configuration - and nothing shows up there.

I'm open to suggestions and hopefully a fix
Respectfully
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:00 pm 

The dhcp range is the IPs that will be handed to clients. Putting your naslite server at the fist address in the range will put it at odds with a client that already has that ip.

Set the nas ip to 192.168.0.60 and try it then. Make sure there is nothing at that address first.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:30 am 

How did you manage to unlock NASLite-2 without being able to access the server from another PC?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:47 am 

Hi and thanks,
I'm offsite now and will try this when I get back home.
Dave
dimension wrote:
The dhcp range is the IPs that will be handed to clients. Putting your naslite server at the fist address in the range will put it at odds with a client that already has that ip.

Set the nas ip to 192.168.0.60 and try it then. Make sure there is nothing at that address first.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:51 am 

I used my wife's system to get the code online.

Then, on my system, after Naslite-2 boots off the HD, 'onlock' is one of the options on the console monitor.

Isn't that the way to do it?

NickC wrote:
How did you manage to unlock NASLite-2 without being able to access the server from another PC?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 pm 

On Friday:
I did attempt the change to 192.168.0.60 and nothing changed.
I went back to the last setting assigned (192.168.0.88) and that's what I'm trying to use now.

The modem/router does not see that computer at all - it shows instead the computer with the assigned name it had when last running XP (recall that I swap drives out to test this new software).

Unter tools and tests when I try to ping I get an error message: "Network is unreachable'

There are so few user options that I dont see what I could have scewed up. Any ideas?

I'm stymied - how to get more help? Do I need to post as a different topic?

Thanks,
Dave

dimension wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:30 pm 

what kind of router and what do you mean the router doesn't see it? Are you pinging it from the router? Can you ping the other boxes on the lan from the router? Have you looked at the cable and connectors? Does the cable work fine on another box?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:26 pm 

Thanks for responding.
I have a DSL Modem. It is sold by Qwest. It is: 2701HG-D Gateway with sSoftware: 5.29.59-QT03 I've used it for over a year.

This modem show all attached devices. It is 100% accrate except when I attempt to run NASLITE. NASLITE reports it is not connected, and of course the modem verifies this.

I'm mystified. It is as though lanlite doesn't see my ethernet port - or if it does, it doesn't see the dsl modem.

Frustrating? Yes -
Thanks
Dave

I use the exact same cable in the same cpu port and modem port - systems, other than LANLITE appear correctly on the modem status screen.
dimension wrote:
what kind of router and what do you mean the router doesn't see it? Are you pinging it from the router? Can you ping the other boxes on the lan from the router? Have you looked at the cable and connectors? Does the cable work fine on another box?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:43 pm 

It lists only the devises it hands out IPs to, so you can't go by that. Naslite needs a statically assigned IP, so your router wouldn't show it. Can you go through what you did to set your naslite step by step. I bet you are doing something wrong.

Let's see where you are at and we'll go from there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:40 am 

Okay, here we go (and you are likely quite right)
1. downloaded iso copy from website
2. burned a bootable disk image with XP
3. With a new FD and the bootable CD booted up NL on system with KB and display, and ethernet port.
4. Followed the onscreen instructions and created a bootable HD
5. Rebooted with HD
6. Logged in with admin/nas and keyed in the license id
7. Used another system to obtain unlock key for later use
8. left network settings as is 192.168.064
9. saved and rebooted
10. unlocked with supplied code. I've also reconfigured the storage disk.
11 decided to change password - so did that, saved system and rebooted
12 - about this time, used another system to attempt to use NL
13 Neither the browser (Firefox and/or IE)or Telnet could access the NL system.
14. Playing around with the NL system - still on another computer, I wasn't able to ping anyone - basically an 'unable to communicate' condition.
15 I've tried both hardwired ethernet and wireless (via a Buffalo airstation) connections (from the NL box) and the results don't vary.
In various attempts to communicate I have tried a number of different ip addresses - and the results are always the same.
Wish I could see the error of my ways - but I am stymied.
Thanks again,
Dave

dimension wrote:
It lists only the devises it hands out IPs to, so you can't go by that. Naslite needs a statically assigned IP, so your router wouldn't show it. Can you go through what you did to set your naslite step by step. I bet you are doing something wrong.

Let's see where you are at and we'll go from there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:47 am 

am certainly no expert but i would alter network settings to anything other than default and save them

no idea if it matters but at least all settings are then uptodate in the config

dont forget to reboot naslite after that

am assuming your network addy is a typo - 192.168.064

i have changed routers in the past and had to change the address of the naslite box - can only speak for netgears

some are 192.168.0.1

whilst others are 192.168.1.1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:50 pm 

Hi again,
Well - my first approach had included changing everything to other than default. That did not work.
This time I started over fresh. I re-initialized the DSL modem to a brain-dead state and reestablished it to working condition with the network, etc.

Then I started NL from scratch and followed the manual in the precise order specified.

I still had no success. I then changed the default ip address to 192.168.70 and still no success.

Meanwhile I went on the other system and grabbed a couple of snapshots.
Snap1 shows 3 local devices (on the left). Only 2 are connected (at this moment) to the DSL modem.
One: 'IBM-Blackriver' is a XP machine.
The other: 'Dave112808os2enet' is the machine which has NL running in at this moment.

Snap2 shows that:
'Dave112808os2enet' has an address of 0.0.0.0, that it is connected and that the address is a static ip - no DHCP

'IBM-Blackriver' is shown as connected and at 192.168.0.66

the third one is not connected (it is the wireless side of the first machine which is currently connected vie ethernet.)

When this snapshot was taken the ethernet machine had been rebooted with an assigned address of 192.168.0.70 - so I am confused by why it still shows as 0.0.0.0

Am I confused and lost? YES
Thanks
Dave
tony a wrote:
am certainly no expert but i would alter network settings to anything other than default and save them

no idea if it matters but at least all settings are then uptodate in the config

dont forget to reboot naslite after that

am assuming your network addy is a typo - 192.168.064

i have changed routers in the past and had to change the address of the naslite box - can only speak for netgears

some are 192.168.0.1

whilst others are 192.168.1.1

Attachments:
snap2.jpg
snap2.jpg [ 64.55 KiB | Viewed 29802 times ]
snap1.jpg
snap1.jpg [ 58.38 KiB | Viewed 29799 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:31 pm 

Here's an update on my situation.
I researched my NIC and find it is a DAVICOM DM9 and is sometimes 'suspect'.
At hoot time the hardware irq display shows this:

BUS# DEV# Dev Class IRQ
0 29 USB1.0/1.1 UHC 1 Cntrlr 11
2 4 Network Cntrlr 11

I'm guessing there is some IRQ conflict between these devices and NL. I don't know enough to know how to overcome it.
I've got another used system coming, with different i/o. I'll try again when it arrives.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 am 

I'm back!
Used machine arrived and installed easily this afternoon.
NASListe up and running - just like advertised.
I did a cold install -which worked- and then I took the drive from the other machine, plugged it in, updated the 5 digit key with a new key, and it works too. :wink:
Entire problem seems to be the NIC setup of the other machine.
Thanks all