NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

As you all may have noticed, the NASLite-2 forums have been consolidated, this is preparation for the release of NASLite-2 v2.10 which will be able to boot from USB/HDD or CDD.

NASLite-2 v2.10 will be a free upgrade for all users with valid download links, and also will be available for users wishing to revalidate as well, v2.10 will accept existing user license ID's from previous versions of USB/HDD or CDD.

Please feel free to ask about and question or concerns you may have. Release should be sometime withing the next 7-10 Days.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:37 pm 

Hi Ralph.

What is new in 2.10 ?

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Mainly a new kernel and a new installer. The new kernel addresses performance and IRQ allocation. The new installer makes HDD, CDD and USB obsolete, so starting with 2.10 there will be a single version of NASLite-2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:06 pm 

Hi Tony,

Does "new kernel" means new hardware detected ?

Regards.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The new kernel addresses performance and IRQ allocation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:04 am 

Because this update worked in the system I been waiting for it to I bought it and tested it to know it works on a 160g SATA drive. All worked real good on it. But I have a 750G green WD hard drive I want to use on it. So this morning I did the same and installed NASLite-2 on it.

But it just says Status: NOT MOUNTED I Formated Disk-0 2 times now and rebooted each time. It's a Disk Model: ATA WDC WD7500AACS-0, v.01.0 I just don't know what I can do to get it to MOUNT?

I did Apply Journal to Disk-0 filesystem, and Check Disk-0 Filesystem. Both said done with no errors.

Is there somthing I am doing wrong? I have it unlocked and Server Status says READ/WRITE.

Opps. Just rebooted it yet again. This time it MOUNTED it. I don't know why it did not the 1st reboots after the format.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:32 am 

Raymond,

You know the WD green series of harddrives are "energy efficient" and "power down"

this is a known bug with hardware raidcards, who detect the drive going down and mark it as failed
perhaps it's something similar that happend when you booted the nas:
the drive powered down, the controller didn't found it and the drive wasn't mounted

perhaps a disk-tool from WD can change the setup of the drive, preventing it to power down

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:05 pm 

You my be right. This drive is real "energy efficient" and I named this new vershion of NASLite-2 green. So I just have to go to \\green to see it's files.

Right now I am running a Mirror to copy all my data I wanted to use on this. It my take over 24 hours. The one I am copying from is not "energy efficient" that's why. I know this green hard drive can speen at 5400 at 7200 RPM I think. I had a older SATA 160G hard drive on it just to make sure this new NASLite-2 worked with it good and it did. I even tested the mirroring. I could hear that hear drive click and make lots of sounds as it was copying. This green one I don't even hear. It runs so cool and quit. The other hard drive was very worm when I turn off the power to put the green hard drive on it.

I will see how this works with some time. Right now it's copying a lot of data.

Thanks for you post totalchaos I did not even think of the hard drive turning it's self off. It's even hard to here or fell if it's running. It's that "energy efficient".

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:37 pm 

I added a 500GB WD green drive (WD5000AACS) to my server about 2 months ago (replacing a 500GB "regular" drive plus two other "regular" drives) . Have not had a problem with it. My understanding is that the drive will decide its speed (rpm) on its own based on demand. I did not think it actually powers-down (based on its default settings). I don't think mine does (although I admit I haven't checked carefully) -- I have had no messages in the syslog. I shutdown at night and reboot the server each morning.

I believe Raymond is using this drive on Intel D945GCLF2 and the reason for not mounting initially may be related to the 64-bit issues ... not sure .... but I don't think the drive would shut down so soon after boot.

"hdparm" is a useful utility to find out more ... but you'll have to mess with Linux and I don't recommend that for novices. But if you want to boot a LiveCD with Linux you might find out more about the current power settings on your drive. May be it's not set to defaults ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:43 pm 

No this is on a Mini-ITX D201GLY2 Intel Desktop Board. I remember I wanted one with no fans. But I did put a 120 MM fan in it becaues the big heat sink can get hot.

I think the new Atom Mini-ITX would use less power. I am waiting till they bring out the one that has the video built in to the Atom CPU. Then I my use my single core Atom for a NASLite server. Using Win XP home on it now. That is how I am on this forum.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:02 am 

It's been Mirroring about 220G of data from a NASLite CDD. I thought it was all most done by the Mirror log about 2 AM and I went to bed.

Next day, today got up and I could not connect to it's IP at all! Nothing no web, telnet, or explorer! But I still have a keyboard and screen on it. I could log in there. It could not ping any of my LAN IP's. It said DISK IS MOUNTED! The only thing that got it working is a reboot!

I checked the mirror log file before I started up the mirror again. The end 2 lines said this:

2008/12/04 10:22:52 [15045] rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(244) [generator=2.6.9]
2008/12/04 10:22:52 [15579] rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1182) [receiver=2.6.9]

Does that give a clue of what went wrong?

I had Ubuntu server running on this for about the past 2 months before this NASLite V2.10. No problums with it.

I started the Mirror again. Set the time to 1 min. before I said to start it. It's going now and I hope it copies it all this time.

Looks like the mirror log just removed the last 2 lines when it restarted.

I hope some one will know what's wrong. I hat to have to reboot this every time I want to get to it.

It on a Intel Mini-ITX D201GLY2 Desktop Board. 1G ram in it. WDC WD7500AACS-0 750g green SATA hard drive. Before NASLite V2.10 came out the old NASLite would not boot in it.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:36 am 

Raymond:
I am pretty sure those last two lines are related to you doing a reboot ... you might verify by the timestamp of the entry (but complicated by the fact that you changed the clock setting). The "rsync" simply got interrupted, and if you did a reboot via the menu or shutdown via the power switch, then the "rsync" daemon makes those two log entries. If you rebooted by completely killing the power (or reset switch), those two lines should not be there. I have done exactly the same thing (changed the clock, done a mirror, had to abort with a reboot). Unfortunately I don't remember what the cause for the lockup was in my case ... but either a] it had something to do with my network, not directly Naslite related because I was doing the mirror between two Naslite servers, or b] the normally reliable destination system had a setting wrong in BIOS (SATA emulation mode "enhanced" versus "combined"). It sounds like your case is different where you are using rsync between two local disks ... is that true ?
But anyway ... those two lines don't tell you what went wrong or why the lockup happened, only that the rsync was aborted.
If your were just doing a test ... no problem ... but if the data is critical I would not yet use NL on that hardware (due to the 64-bit address problem). The Ubuntu you were using was probably a Linux 2.6.xxx kernel.
If you are running a test ... look at BIOS settings for SATA mode -- check out near the end of my post here
:) Georg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:11 pm 

Maybe it was the time off and I have a IP in it to get the time from the Internet. So maybe when it got that it messed it up so it could not talk thought the Ethernet port.

I rebooted it by the keyboard. It's been up for about 6 hours from the reboot and working good.

This is a small system and I am moving it from my 1st NASLite the CDD one with floppy for it's config. It's a mid size tower case. So it will be good to use this new better power and smaller one.

I guess I will test it out for about a week. Then I just want to use the old one update it with the NASLite V2.10 It shuld wipe out the data on the hard drive. So I want to make sure this new on I have on the Mini-Itx will work good before it gets deleted from the old one. I will just use it for a backup mostly keeping the old one powerd off.

Yes I am doing this on local disks or 2 NASLite's in the same room.

Looks like the Ethernet just lockup. I could use the keyboard and did all I could think of to get it to work. Reboot was the last thing I did that worked.

Seems to be good now but I have all the coping doen.

-Raymond Day