NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: network media players
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:34 pm 

Has anybody tried using Naslite with Mvix , rapsody or anyother players. What has been your experience ?

Thanks much
kaiser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:18 am 

Greetings.
I have been using 2 NASLite servers with AirLinkTek's Mediagate-35 for almost 2 years. No problems, no stuttering, wired or wireless for DVD files, XviD. .avi, .mpg. You have to make sure you avoid streaming during NASLite's startup routines. NASLite likes to busy itself, checking itself, and I've come to learn that is a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:48 pm 

I have also recently purchased a MVIX-760HD. I have my NAS setup and the MVIX sees all of the shares with no problem. Where I run into problems is on the MX-760HD when I try to open one of the shares. The MC-760HD says "Access Deny" and from what I can tell this is either the user/group permissions setup on the NAS or the account that the MX-760 uses.

I am able to access all of my NAS drives from any Windows OS with no issue. This leads me to believe if there was a way to add a user to the NAS 2LIte permissions for Guest or Everyone it may work. I however do not have any knowledge of how to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm 

kaiser75 wrote:
Has anybody tried using Naslite with Mvix , rapsody or anyother players. What has been your experience ?

Thanks much
kaiser

We've been using two Netgear EVA 8000s with our video collection. After a somewhat rocky start with a defective unit, both now play pretty much anything we feed them...even isos of our DVDs. While we don't normally record in HD - MPEG2 test files played perfectly through the network.

The EVA 8000 is very friendly to non UPNP/DLNA servers like NASLITE...never faced any hitch recognizing our 6ea X 4 drive servers. The other mediaplayers tried had many problems accessing that shares folder.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:30 am 

I've just hooked up a TVersity (freeware) mdeia server running on an old Dell 2.4GHz P4 and sharing the media folders off an NL server with no problems. Only tried audio, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 pm 

Running a DVICO TVIX 5130, with a wireless accesspoint set to AP client mode to access NASlite.

Unfort I can only access the NAS via slow SAMBA share settings from the TVIX.

To get the faster NFS network protocol going I need to have the media named tvixhd1 and 2 and 3 etc on the TVIX box (instead of Disk-0, 1 2 etc).

The only way I can currently access via NFS is if I link the NAS to a PC running a NFS netshare util that then maps to the NAS.

Not ideal.

Otherwise the SAMBA shares are fast enough to view video without stuttering (but HD files may be an issue).

Whilst I like the simplicity of the NAS box, it does prove inflexible for clients that expect a user/password and/or a specific media share name.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:08 pm 

Im using a Tvix 6500 and have also been using a tvix 4100 with naslite. No problems using NFS here.
Stable and works like a charm.

Kjell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:44 pm 

Thanks, any particular settings/config to achieve direct NFS that you set on the 4100 (the most similar to the 5130 TVIX) ?

ie. what is the entire share name you used to set the "normal(NFS)" network connection?

Perhaps there is some issue with my bridged wireless AP and my LAN router?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:05 pm 

I'll take the opportunity to reply to myself with the solution for TVIX 5130 /4130 (firmware 1.4.52) to NASLITE 2.06 (CD)

Have endured almost a year of slow SAMBA connections, with zero assistance from the forums apart from finding a vague hint re: using /exports/ and some trial and error involving cans of beer and the remote.

Cmon guys, where are all the Linux experts??! I'm certainly not!

here tis...
*** NFS access to NASLITE from DVICO TVIX 5130 media player (same as 4130) **

Assuming your NASLITE is called:- NAS
and is on IP :- 192.168.0.52

(note..no need to set up particular folders or names on the NAS...each disk is shared from root)

*** slow SAMBA/SMB settings in TVIX, slow connections..adequate for DIVX movie feeds.:-
sharename: Disk-0 (case sensitive, where "0" is zero)
ip: 192.168.000.052

*** faster connections NFS, loads faster, more responsive to fast forward/rewinds
sharename: /export/Disk-0 ( case sensitive )
ip: as above

Change to Disk-1 etc as required for other NASLITE disks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:14 pm 

Perhaps I miss the problem here as the performance of my NL machine is more than adequate for my needs to stream videos to my media center. I have a simple PC with XP on it.

If the performance of your shares is poor the first thing to do is to get the latest firmware update for your media center installed.

Connect via Gigabit if you can, at least for the NL connection to remove bottlenecks.

Make sure there are no conflicting IP addresses.

Finally, try using a different protocol to export the data, IE NFS rather than SMB.

As far as tuning the Linux OS in the NL box, not gonna happen as there is no user level access to the underlying OS.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:37 pm 

Since my earlier posting in May08 a latter TVIX firmware (1.4.52) release appeared to remove the password/fixed sharename issue requirement (tvixhd1 etc).

Performance of the TVIX via wifi lan bridge to router ("g" network), is 100% reliable for streaming typical qual 700meg/90min movies (eg DIVX/XVID). The advantage of the NFS over SMB is evident in faster loading/buffering and faster response to cueing through the movie clip.

The bitrate for streaming a 700meg/90min movie is not going to stress the wifi link at all :-)

Some stutter/performance issues with SMB (over wifi at least) became apparent though with the higher bitrate movie files (eg HD/bluray).

Strangely, with /export/Disk-0 and NFS share configured, the NAS status page DOES NOT list the TVIX as a client, nor any reference to any NFS clients. (did a reboot).