NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:29 pm 

Hi all.
:)

I've almost finished transferring all my data from the old Windoze XP server, to the new NASLite-2 HDD server, and thought I would offer up some feedback on how I felt about the move. This is not a request for help, but I post it here as it is relevant to the HDD version of NASLite-2.

- NASLite-2 is a very cute product. Very cute indeed. I have always kind-of shied away from Linux in any flavour, due to the fact that I am mostly a Windoze user, and my previous attempts at dabbling in Linux have been quite stressful, as I could not find things under Linux where I used to find them in Windoze. However, this is a common problem for Windoze users attempting to migrate to Linux, and I decided after a few attempts, that Linux and Windoze are totally different beasts, and as such, the point-and-click GUI are about the only things in common!
:mrgreen:

Anyway, I digress a little here...

For a Linux-based system, NASLite-2 was extremely simple to setup and get going, and even the activation process was more simple then I thought it might be - others could learn from that approach!

The web-based status and information pages are the very cute bit I was referring to, and they are well laid out, with everything easy to find. Accessing these status pages is far easier and quicker then the XP server was with RDS.(Remote Desktop Support).

- The "Disk-0" etc share-names for drives I thought was a little inconvenient at first, but then it's not a real problem, as I was able to map whatever folders I wanted to drive letters anyway, so I suppose that is not as much of a problem as first thought.

- The filesystem checks if the power has been cut off can be a bit of a pain, but I suppose it is more important that the filesystem is intact then not have that checking ability, and ending up with a corrupt system. At first, I thought the disk-checking-if-power-cut was going to be a major pain in the backside in time lost to the checks, but then...

- The network setup is easy and very painless. The system is quickly and easily accessible under any Windoze machine on my home network, and I must say that this it is far easier to access the NASLite-2 server then the Windoze one which seems to take a long time "Thinking" about weather to give you access or not when you click on a folder. With the NASLite server, the folders are accessible without this delay, which is nice. :)

- Hardware support is impressive. NASLite-2 supports a very impressive amount of hardware! This really has impressed me that Server Elements can squeeze support for that many devices into NASLite and still keep the OS footprint down to 8MB or so - extremely clever, and my hat tips to them for being able to include so much device support into NASLite-2. 8)

- No system BIOS restrictions on drive capacities. This is also very neat. I think that most OS's these days(Windoze included) have direct access to the HDD's(they don't talk to the drives via the system BIOS anymore), but I could be wrong. I seem to recall that other Linux distros made a big thing of this same kind of argument, so perhaps it is more of a Linux kernel issue then a general OS or PC issue, but nevertheless, it is very cool to be able to put an old PC back to work as a NAS server.

So that's it. So far, the results have been very acceptable, and other then a couple of simple glitches(which were my errors!), the system is very stable, easy to use, and boots up and is on-line in about 30% of the time it took for the old XP server to start-up and be ready for access.