NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Security
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:04 am 

Hello,
I already wrote a mail with the mail form. But as I did not get feedback, I try it here again.

I'm using naslite-2 hdd and I'm happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the lack on security.

I do not expect a full user access control, but really good would be to have the possibilty to set a password (maybe for readonly and for write access) which needed to enter before accessing the shares.

Best would be to have a seperate for each share.

Normally this must not a real big act to include this into netlite-2. :roll:

Thanks and regards
Uwe

Post subject: Re: Security
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:18 pm 

I don't know what Tony and Ralph are going to say on this but allot of us have wanted to have rudimentary security. I am with you on this and have a number of friends that will not adopt the software because of a lack of this. I too would really like to see this offered, maybe in the form of a "Pro" version of the software so that those with office centric needs could use it without the worry of having files accessed by persons note authorized to.

I do understand their reluctance to include this in the software as it will open up a whole new can of support worms for them. Permissions are a tricky thing for most of the users of their product, it is designed to be as simple as possible for the end user and permissions are not a simple subject!

Lets see what the guys have to say as I have not heard from them on this one in quite a while about it since I have been gone.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:14 pm 

Digging this up from the post grave... Maybe the devs can post back to give their answer (and maybe it has prior to my coming) as to why there is no security?

I don't fully agree that user permissions are so difficult as to it be akin to "opening another can of worms on the forums", i think if your here and have setup a fully functional NASLite box that you can handle setting some permissions

any comment from the dev's?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

scrupul0us wrote:
I don't fully agree that user permissions are so difficult as to it be akin to "opening another can of worms on the forums", i think if your here and have setup a fully functional NASLite box that you can handle setting some permissions

any comment from the dev's?

I think that we can easily handle setting some permissions, but integrating the functionality into NASLite is a bit more involved. NASLite supports CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, RSYNC and HTTP for access to it's content areas. If you look at most NAS implementations, each protocol usually has a separate set of features, accounts and in many cases separate shared areas. That is not the goal of NASLite. What we are trying to do is provide equal access through all protocols to the content areas for the purpose of sharing. Making user-level permissions that take effect equally between all protocols is not as simple to do as you imply for variety of reasons ranging from protocol particulars to administration requirements, interface and integration.

Security however is part of the next core. Better yet, how about compiling a list of requested features in order of importance and within context. Ralph and I will be curious what people's collective wish-list would look like compared to ours. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:58 pm 

I understand where you are coming from on the multiple protocol level... I guess being that I only use SMB narrows my vision on complexity

I would love to have an official thread dedicated to finding out what features and such users hold important for future releases and I'm sure security will be an integral part of that seeing as how you've managed to do everything else pretty spot on

I think (for me at least) in regards to user level permissions i really only care about SMB since thats how people connect to my NAS... Since it's emplacement I've simply turned off RW and gone RO for security... But it makes it very meticulous to make varying updates throughout the day when people are using the server b/c I have to swap to RW, reboot, make changes then swap to RO, reboot and let users in again

I understand this adds complexity to the project but at the end of the day it's the forward motion of these types of features that will keep NL in the ballgame... Even if that means at a slightly higher cost, I'm cool with an upgrade fee to get there...

I think you have hit and surpassed your original goals of the software which is why so many people LOVE it.. It so god damn easy to use and works like a CHARM... But like any product, there has to be change to keep the momentum going and I for one will be here when it does b/c honestly, with the added feature of some user-level security, I would proudly push this package to clients who are in need of NAS solutions.