NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:09 pm 

well, i filled up my one 500gb drive today and just installed the other 500gb drive... I powered the machine on all im getting is a flashing cursor after the computer finishing posting... The PC isnt locked (numlock still toggles)... Could the PC/NAS be reading the drive or doing something?

This drive came from my windows machine where i formatted it as NTFS after moving everything over to the new drive in the NAS... i figured i should have been able to just drop the drive in, but it doesnt seem to be working

I went back into my bios and disabled the second SATA port and the server booted up normally

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:33 pm 

Hrm... After I went back and re-enabled the SATA controller it booted fine... hrmf! Now I have a backup drive :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:05 am 

After install the HDD check ur bios can able to identify the drive if your bios can then NAs should be boot normally & after Boot you have to go Command mode then storage & format it cuz NAS doesn't support NTFS its use linux ext2/3 so You have to format the drive. Then save settings & Reboot its will be mounted & hope works fine .

But just make sure You connect the drive properly and YOUR BIOS ABLE TO RECOGNISE IT. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:40 am 

titos97 wrote:
.....But just make sure You connect the drive properly and YOUR BIOS ABLE TO RECOGNISE IT. Best of luck.

This is the second post in which you have advised the user to setup the drive/s in the BIOS. This works just fine with a modern motherboard/BIOS in most cases but since NL has drive overlay software it is not required to get the drive to work. In some cases this can be the cause of hangs and failure to recognize the drive/s. Simply setting the drive to "none" or "0" in the BIOS will work in 99% of the cases as long as the controller is setup properly and the drives are strapped correctly.

Welcome to the forums,

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Just a side note: In some isolated cases, a BIOS will disable the IDE channel as well as other pertinent services if a disk is set to NONE. That is rare but it does happen on some machines. In such cases one has to "fool" the BIOS into thinking a given drive is there by setting an arbitrary value which the NASLite kernel will overwrite anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:48 pm 

Hence the reason for this in the post "Simply setting the drive to "none" or "0" in the BIOS will work in 99% of the cases....."

I got the bases covered but thanks anyway.

Mike