NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:11 pm 

I am having the exact same problem, can someone please explain in some detail how i can change the settings in the bios so that the SATA CD drive can be allocated as IDE?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:06 pm 

Some times there is no way to get the SATA CDROM drive to appear in the boot and you may have to get an ATA drive instead.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:53 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Flash drives are fine but there is little if any need of them for the NAS box, that is unless you just want a fancy hardware configuration that limits the long term reliability of your machine.

Why would a flash drive limit the reliability of my NASLite configuration? Please fill me in.

Thanks,
Pieter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:06 am 

omondragon wrote:
I am having the exact same problem, can someone please explain in some detail how i can change the settings in the bios so that the SATA CD drive can be allocated as IDE?

Tony wrote:
Some BIOS allows for legacy support where SATA can be allocated as IDE. You may try that approach or use an IDE drive.

How is not really interesting; the question is does your BIOS have that feature. That is fairly easy to find out by browsing through the settings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:48 pm 

PieterB wrote:
mikeiver1 wrote:
Flash drives are fine but there is little if any need of them for the NAS box, that is unless you just want a fancy hardware configuration that limits the long term reliability of your machine.

Why would a flash drive limit the reliability of my NASLite configuration? Please fill me in.

Thanks,
Pieter

Unless you are using a good quality flash drive with ware leveling they tend to develop errors in them after time. In this context there is not really much ware though so it is likely a non issue.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:45 am 

My NAS uses a Transcend IDE flash 32Mb; would you say I'm in the danger zone?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:58 am 

Don't know. The most you have at risk it loosing the configuration file and having to rebuild the OS on the drive. In the context of NL it really isn't an issue since it only hits the drive for reads at the start and there after it no longer goes to the boot drive. In your case the 32MB flash.

I just changed my boot drive from a USB boot from a CDROM to a 64MB CF card in an ATA adapter for an HDD boot. I am not worried if it dies since it only takes about 10 minutes to build and configure NL on the CF card. I also never bring my box down so that is another reason I don't really worry. My advice is that you write down the settings you have that work for you, slip them in the NL box and don't worry about it at all.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:08 pm 

I’ve been running NASLite-2 v2.06 since 2008 on an old Dell Dimension XPS T500 without any issues.
I was recently upgrading to v2.66 in an effort to resolve the SMB issues caused by Microsoft update KB2536276.
I have made no changes to the configuration; same IDE hard drives, IDE CD-ROM etc, and I’m receiving the “Unable to mount CD-ROM“ error posted throughout this forum.

Error is as follows:
Starting environment configuration:

[ DONE ] - Filesystem configuration complete
[ FAIL ] - Unable to mount CD-ROM

umount: none busy - remounted read only
The system is going down NOW !!
Sending SIGTERM to all processes.
Sending SIGKILL to all processes.
The system is halted. Press Reset or turn off power
Power down.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.