NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:14 am 

Hi Mike.

If you use a blowtorch to remove a DIMM connector from a old bad board it will melt the DIMM connector. I did do this. But order the DIMM connector any way from http://www.jameco.com

I am thinking maybe could put a 512MB DIMM in there but solder like a CS wire to it from some place else. I have not looked in to that good to know.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:23 am 

It worked. I installed NASLite-2 HDD on a computer that does not have the same chip set or ethernet card as the Netgear ND520 I put the hard drive in.

That is very good to know. So any one wanted a unit like this if you can get a Netgear ND508 or Netgear ND520 off ebay or some place just put a bigger hard drive in after you install NASLite-2 HDD.

I am not sure why the
Quote:
UNLOCK* INVALID Operating System Unlock Status.
is still Invalid. I rebooted it and still like that. I have the UNLOCK CODE that Generated. I think I put all the numbers in right.

But I did install this from the other CD I downloaded for my 1st NASLite-2 HDD. Could that be why? Do I have to install it from the ISO I downloaded with the license?

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:13 am 

I can't get it to
Quote:
UNLOCK* INVALID

I could not find the CD I burned when I downloaded this NASLite-2 HDD. So I just burned it again. I have the ISO and license code in the same folder and used that and clicked on the:
Quote:
NOTE: Click on this link button to submit the above information and request an Unlock Code from Server Elements.

With telnet put it in and rebooted. It still says INVALID.

I downloaded this back on July 31, 2008. Have not used it till now. Could that be why?

Only other thing I can think of is install this in the VIA chip set with the same type Network card as the netgear. I have not done that yet.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 am 

It worked. I don't know. I guess just had to reboot it yet again.

I just saved the config again and rebooted.

Well now to copy my data back to it.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Raymond Day wrote:
It worked. I don't know. I guess just had to reboot it yet again.
My guess is you did not save the first or second time. You must make sure you save the config after entering the unlock and then reboot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:51 am 

It about all done now. I put the Netgear now with NASLite-2 HDD install on it up were I had it. Put back together the 2 PC's I used to install it with.

I am coping the Data I had on it back to it now only running NASLite-2 HDD. It says it will take about 2 hours. The other to copy it from but not the same OS took about 24 hours!

Here is a photo of how I have it. It's the top Netgear.

The orange color in the back ground is the one I hope NASLite M2 will work on. The 2 CD's under it is one Netgear one and the other is the burn NASLite-2 HDD I used to install this on.

This is very good NASLite-2 working on this. From the start of me getting NASLite CDD I wanted it to be on the NetGear.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:54 am 

What exactly is the oranged device? I've now started looking at all the things I can run NASLite on :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:49 am 

I posted about the orange device on here at:

http://www.serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2592

NASLite-2 HDD will not install on it.

As I said on this Mini-ITX board NASLite-2 HDD stopps at:

Code:
Uncompressing NASLite Kernel...
Ok, booting the kernel.
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for

I have Ubuntu server running on it now with my other CDD and HDD system all on it. But I like HDD better and hope when NASLite M2 comes out it will work on this system.

It uses only about 20 watts of power of so. I for get but it's very low in using power and I have a 750GB WD green hard drive on it. Can't hear any sound out of it till get about 4 inch from it with the big 120mm fan in it to keep the CPU cool.

NASLite gaves the same 64-bit address space error on a Atom Mini-ITX too.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:10 pm 

Wow, that's a sweet little PC. I have been looking around for something energy efficient to move my Linux server over to and I think I will go the mini-ITX route. Right now it's on a P4 3GHz board mounted inside an old cupboard in the garage with 5 large fans keeping it and all the drives cool. Maybe a mini-ITX with four 2.5" drives will be the way to go :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:21 pm 

You can buy a 90 watt very small power supply for $50 at:

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-90-power-kit?sc=8&category=13

Intel motherboard with 1.6 Ghz Atom CPU $70 and they have 2gb of ram same link for $36 at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Motherboard+/+CPU+/+VGA+Sets-_-Intel-_-13121342

1TB WB green power hard drive $136 free shipping at:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007017&prodlist=celebros

Just need a case then. Can use your big case the Mini-ITX fits on the 1st 4 stand offs in the corner of the case. That's how small it is. Or make your own case like I did.

What I have here would cost about $300 with shipping. Or about $160 with out 1TB hard drive. But all this is very good on power.

But NASLite don't work on this mother board. So just wait till NASLite M2 comes out soon and at lest I will post back her if it works with this motherboard.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 am 

There was a Netgear ND508 on ebay for like $10 and no one bought it. Item # 260274539598

I guess if some one wants it look for the Item number on ebay and ask the seller if they still have it.

It said with no power supply. The power supply is built in. I guess they ment no power cord.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:25 pm 

That is nice. Looked on ebay for one of those netgears but found nothing. It would make a nice portable NAS. Looks almost like what you can do with an old neoware appliance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:08 pm 

They have a Netgear ND508 on ebay now for the next 3 day's. Today is 11/12/2008 it's Item number: 200264472700 with a buy now for about $15 and shipping about the same so about $30 for it.

NASLite-2 HDD works very good on this. Just install it on any PC and set it up so it has a IP and put the hard drive back in the Netgear and go to it's IP address. I put a 320GB hard drive in it but I am all most sure it work with a 1TB hard drive.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:58 pm 

I use the Compaq deskpro EN SFF desktop Pentium 111 866 MHz . £10 ( $15) at local 'tip' with SDRAM PC133 + 2 x 200GB HD.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:47 pm 

Know this post is somewhat dated, but has anyone been able to get around and bios error beeps. Anyone discover anyway to monitor the start up? The one I have it sounds like it might be looking for a video, judging by the beeps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next