NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:43 pm 

I was waiting for NASLite-2 HDD. Thinking it would boot in a Intel InBusiness Storage Station I have.

It will not boot in it. I install it on a old computer and put the hard drive in the IBSS but it just will not boot. I hooked a RS-232 to it about the only thing besides a Ethernet and power can go on it.

I put a 80 GB on it then a 256 MB flash card. NASLite-2 HDD said it install on the flash card with a IDE to Flash card adator. I was thinking the boot my not work with a 80 GB hard drive. But that did not boot ether and the RS-232 was just the same as the 80 GB.

Here is a copy and paste of the RS232. The start 3 lines. It stops at Exiting all the time.

Code:
10BIOS Startup - press Enter to start manufacturing functional test                                                                   
Exiting       

>> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 640/65535 k of memory, serial console                                                               
Boot default: 0:wd(0,a)kernel                             
Usage: bios_drive:interface(unit,partition)kernel_name options                                                             
    bios_drive   0, 1, ...                         
    interface    fd, wd or da                             
    unit         0, 1, ...                         
    partition    a, c, ...                         
    kernel_name  name of kernel, or ? for list of files in root directory                                                                         
    options      -a (ask name) -C (cdrom) -c (userconfig) -D (dual consoles)                                                                           
                 -d (debug early) -g (gdb) -h (serial console) -P (probe kbd)                                                                             
                 -r (default root) -s (single user) -v (verbose)                                                               
Examples:         
    1:da(0,a)mykernel  boot `mykernel' on the first SCSI drive when one IDE                                                                           
                       drive is present                                       
    1:wd(2,a)          boot from the second (secondary master) IDE drive                                                                       
    1:da(0,a)?         list the files in the root directory on the specified                                                                           
                       drive/unit/partition, and set the default bios_drive,                                                                           
                       interface, unit and partition                                                   
    -cv                boot with the defaults, then run UserConfig to modify                                                                           
                       hardware parameters (c), and print verbose messages (v)                                                                             

boot:     
Booting 0:wd(0,a)kernel @ 0x100000                                 
text=0x16f000 data=0x17000 bss=0x118ca0 symbols=[+0x360+0x4+0x172b0+0x4+0x2136a]                                                                               
total=0x3d7622 entry point=0x100000                                   
Copyright (c) 1992-1998 FreeBSD Inc.                                   
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993                                         
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reser                                                                   
FreeBSD 1.10 #12: Mon Jul  5 17:11:09 PDT 1999                                             
    root@host203.creativedesign.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/LAGUNA.DEBUG                                                                     
Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz  cost 2213 ns                                                       
Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 267273914 Hz  cost 88 ns                                                     
CPU: Pentium/P55C (quarter-micron) (267.27-MHz 586-class CPU)                                                             
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x581  Stepping=1                                                 
  Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>                                                       
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)                                     
avail memory = 29007872 (28328K bytes)                                     
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:                                 
chip0: <Intel 82439TX System Controller (MTXC)> rev 0x01 on pci0.0.0                                                                   
chip1: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x02 on pci0.7.0                                                             
ide_pci0: <Intel PIIX4 Bus-master IDE controller> rev 0x01 on pci0.7.1                                                                     
chip2: <Intel 82371AB USB host controller> rev 0x01 int d irq 0 on pci0.7.2                                                                           
chip3: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller!> rev 0x02 on pci0.7.3                                                                       
fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x08 int a irq 10 on pci0.10                                                                               

It's so old can't put a big hard drive or no other new OS on it.

Is there any way to get NASLite-2 HDD to work in it?

Maybe can't get any thing to boot on this because like it says "Usage: bios_drive:interface" does that mean the BIOS is on part of the hard drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

That RS232 dump is from FreeBSD, not NASLite, doesn't help much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:57 pm 

Yes. I know it don't help much, but it's about the only thing I can think of beside maybe sending the Storage Station to Server Elements to see if they can get NASLite-2 HDD to boot in it.

I am guessing it has some old start up in a chip were it uses a BIOS on the hard drive to boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Some quick googling suggests there's some issues with the boot process on that thing, I'd do some searches for Linux on that box and see what you come up with and get back with us, you might be able to manually get it working by formating a drive, installing a workable boot loader for that box and then copying over the NASLite HDD kernel and initrd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:26 pm 

I put the NASLite-2 HDD 80GB hard drive on the 2nd IDE so booted the small Storage Station drive. I can press Enter and then type boot drives like it says but it just comes back with:

Can't find 1:wd(2,a)

I did 2:wd(2,a)

3:wd(2,a)

Other ones but it all ways comes back with Can't find. I think if I even copy the boot over then it still would not boot the NASLite-2 HDD drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:53 pm 

I put the 80 GB hard drive in a Netgear ND-508. It would not boot in that. I know it boots and works because I have on the install computer had it running.

I know the Netgear can boot because I put a 320 GB hard drive with "Trustix Secure Linux release 2.1 (Horizon)" installed on it. It works good and boots up. So I thought NASLite-2 HDD my boot in that but it just does nothing. Don't even see the HD light going like the hard drive is doing any thing.

I guess the boot loader could be a little better on NASLite-2 HDD then. If Trustix can boot from it. But I remember I tested lots of Linux to boot on the Netgear and Trustix is the only one I found that worked. The Net gear only has power and Ethernet to it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Raymond,

I'm not familiar in any great extent with the hardware perticulars, but from what I was able to find out, the InBusiness Storage Station is probably not a good candidate for a NASLite-2 HDD host. As Ralph mentioned, the BIOS of that deveice is incomplete so it is unlikely that the NASLite boot loader will work.

If you find any additional info that you consider helpful or if you make any progress, I'd be interested. There is a chance people have done some work in that area, so who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 pm 

Hi Tony. Because you know alot about Linux. Could I just send you this Storage Station with a little $ to pay for you to get NASLite-2 HDD to work on it and send it back to me? It has a old 13 GB hard drive in it that can boot. It can hold 2 hard drives. I could send it with the 80 GB I wanted to run NASLite-2 HDD on. Just mount it in there with out it hooked up. I could put the RS232 cable in with it. I goes at 9600 boud.

It's a neat little box that would be so nice to have NASLite-2 running on and put 1 or 2 big hard drives in it.

I am not very good at Linux stuff. So I can't do what Ralph said. install a workable boot loader and copy the NASLite HDD kernel and initrd. I would need a step-by-step way.

I know just little Linux things. Like commands

LS
locate
df
find / -name
ls -l
cd
cat
rm
rmdir
cp
scp

things like that but not to good to do things Ralph said. It sounds good but I don't know how.

I all ways wanted a small NAS server and I got the Storage Station a long time ago for cheep off ebay.

Looks like something that small now would cost a lot like $200 or so and would have to make your own case and every thing.

Thank you for doing NASlite-2 HDD and the rest. Been running the CD one is a mid size case. It works so very good and so very easy to install and set up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Hello Raymond,

Like I mentioned in my previous email, I don't think the InBusiness Storage Station is a good candidate due to the lack of information as well as support by Intel. Getting an OS to boot only to find out that the drivers are insufficient or that the hardware is crippled in some form will be a total waste of time that can be better spent on 2M or other projects Ralph and I have before us.

I'll be more than willing to assist someone via the forum so if anyone out there is willing to tackle the task Raymond has presented, here is your opportunity. :?