NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:28 am 

Hi,

My problem of NL2 not connecting to the LAN was solved by uninstalling the WiFi card and changing the PCI slot of the 10/100 NIC. Bingo, it works.

A was AMAZED by the speed of my very old computer :D It is an old Pentium 3 450MHz, with 384Mb RAM, with an old test drive ATA33 on a 100MHz LAN and I get speeds around 9000 kB/s. Compared to my office server which is an Athlon 3200+, dual channel RAM, SATA RAID 0 on Gigagit lan but on XP Pro SP2, I get speeds around 9-10000 kB/s only :roll: Speeds tested with Super Copier2, so not very precise but gives a good sight of the NL possibilities :lol:

My small problem is that the old drive (FUJITSU MPB3043AT) which is a 4Gb drive is seen as a 4Gb drive by the BIOS but as a 1,9Gb by NL2... Any ideas what is wrong? This is not really important as this drive wil not be used when the NL box will pass the testing phases but I'd like to understand why I loose half of this drive in NL.

Here are some informations from the NL SysLog

hdc: FUJITSU MPB3043ATU, ATA DISK drive
hdc: attached ide-disk driver.
hdc: 8448300 sectors (4326 MB), CHS=8940/15/63, UDMA(33)
hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

From the server storage page
Disk-0 Total 1.9G Used 32.1M Free 1.9G USED 2% (95%)

Now that NL is up and working, I regret having installed XP Pro on my latest server (the Mo/Bo was too new and the LAN chip was not recognized by NL) as I can't even imagine what I'd get on the "speedometer"...

Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:23 am 
Site Admin

NASLite is appropriately identifying your drive as 4G per the kernel message lines you posted above (8448300 sectors (4326 MB), CHS=8940/15/63). Based on that I’m assuming that you did not format the drive in NASLite and that the drive was previously partitioned with the first partition set to 2G.

If that is not the case, then I’d be a little confused since disk formatting in NASLite begins with automatic partitioning of the drive. Partitioning should have resulted in a 4G volume based on the disk geometry identified by the kernel. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:46 pm 

Tony wrote:
Based on that I’m assuming that you did not format the drive in NASLite and that the drive was previously partitioned with the first partition set to 2G.

Thanks Tony,

That phrase helped me find the problem and fix it. :D As this is a veeerryyy old drive, the jumpers were a bit complicated and not really clear so when my son first installed the drive, the jumpers were not correctly set and the BIOS saw only 1.9GB. I suppose this mixed up things for NL when we formated the drive for the first time.

Before changing the NICs place on the PCIs, I verified the jumpers and corrected them. The BIOS saw 4GB but NL was stuck with the "old" formating. Reformating it fixed everything.

Thanks again for the fast answer.