NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hardware Issue
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:12 am 

I have a hardware issue that I am trying to determine where to trouble shoot next. I have an old 1.0Ghz Celeron with 128mb RAM that I am trying to use with NASLite. Everything works fine until I go and try to transfer a big file to the disk. Now I have eliminated the disk as the issue as I ran NASLite on another computer (more powerful and newer) and then took the harddrive and switch it between systems. My inclination is that the memory is bad in the old system. I say this because when I tried installing windows on the system months ago, it kept BSOD. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:43 pm 

I'm new at this as well, but my initial problems were first with bad memory. I'm using an old P2 400, sata 4 channel controller, 2X 500 gb sata drives and a 230W PSU. The 128mb memory that came on the system had slowed down my transfer rate to a crawl. I replaced the ram with a new 256 mb pc100/133 and my speed increased dramatically.

Post subject: solution
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 am 

I pretty much rulled out the RAM as the issue with the machine as well. I took notice to the machine that whenever there was a load applied and the CPU would have to really do anything extension that it would freeze. I finally after test for several hours concluded that it was either the CPU or the motherboard as everything else was working in other machines. I ended up throughing it away and ordering a Sempron system for under $100 with RAM from Newegg.