NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:48 am 

I have a NASLite server on my network and it is fully accessible from the various computers that use the network. However I have an Acoustic-Energy WiFi radio that should also be able to see the server and play the music stored there but it can't. It can find and access another NAS box that I use on the network (an ASUS WL-HDD) but it cannot find the NASLite server. I recall that when I built my first NASLite box a year or so ago using the basic free NASLite the A-E radio could find it and play the music stored on it, but it can't find my current one which was built using NASLite 2 CDD.

Any suggestions, guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:00 am 

Have you checked which services are enabled on the NAS? SMB/CIFS, NFS, FTP, etc. I don't know which one your media player requires, but you could try switching some of them on, if not on already. Also, check that the media player is looking for the correct IP address, workgroup, whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:47 am 

Nick,

Thanks for these suggestions. All storage options (SMB, NFS, etc) are enabled as RW.

And unfortunately there is no way to tell the A-E WiFi radio what IP address, workgroup, etc. to look for. But as I said, it can find another NAS device on the same network without any problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:33 am 

I found this on the Acoustic Energy Website:

Q: I am having problems finding media folders on my PC.

A: When the AE WiFi radio scans for PCs it sends a broadcast discovery message and needs to use a name service, otherwise the radio will not know which PCs are on the network. Your home network may not have a name service running hence the radio cannot see it. This will need to be turned on in your WiFi Router.

Try typing at the DOS prompt:

net view \\bob

This is done to see if your PC or WiFi Radio can resolve the name for the PC called 'bob' for example.

Finally if you have noticed that the radio is sending a UDP message on ports 1075 to 137, then your network might be using some security software which is displaying this information and preventing the radio from accessing the shared folder.

Have you set a Name on your NAS box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:05 am 

Nick, thanks for taking the trouble to follow up on the A-E site as well. My NASLite box has a name but can't be found using net view at the DOS prompt. But net view does show up my ASUS box. And the NASLite box has the correct workgroup name as well. I hda this problem when setting up the box and trying to map the drive but got round it by using the drive path as it couldn't be found by browsing the network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:36 am 

Some further progress, but not much! I renamed the NASLite box and can now access it using the net view command. And I can also map it as a network drive. But I cannot access it in My Network Places unless my wife's MacBook (Win XP) is connected to the network. Then I can see both the MacBook and the NASLite box. But there is no difficulty in seeing the NASLite box from the MacBook, regardless of whether any other computer is connected to the network. And similarly, the A-E WiFi radio can see the NASLite box only when the MacBook is connected to the network. What is going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:24 am 

Is there a DHCP server on the network?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:22 am 

Yes, the set up is a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to which the NASite box, the ASUS WL-HDD and a Slingbox are connected by Ethernet cable, and the two notebooks are connected by wireless, as well as the A-E WiFi radio. The WRT54G provides DHCP for the network. There are no other DHCP servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:54 am 

Could it be something to do with the naming service (possibly) being provided by the Macbook's XP? Is there a naming service on your router?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:04 am 

To be honest I don't know! I did have a hunt through the settings but didn't see one. I have replaced the Linksys firmware with the dd-wrt firmware and it has more options than you could shake a stick at! But I'll have another hunt through the menus. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:56 am 

I have a DSM-320 media player, I am using it VIA samba. Have been trying to get an answer to the question of what meta data is provided with the song. For instance the media player has a genre row that is not populated using freeNas does NASlite provide that information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:27 pm 

NASLite will see the metadata fine.

ie: freenas

You get what you pay for, it's not surprising, it's a joke project to begin with. Just look at all the issues and unfixed bugs, but hey they keep adding features and slowing it down. I figure by the end of the year it will be slow enough I'll be able to move files onto a usb drive, unplug go the next machine and copy them to it before freenas is even done trying the same copy. LOL

I spent nearly a year and half with that slug, all i can say, what a waste of my time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:46 pm 

I don't know what you mean by FreNas being a joke. Currently two of my UPnP devices do not see the NasLite server at all, much less see metadata from the NAS server. They worked just fine using FreeNas as a server. They hooked up using DHCP and I did not have to do anything to get them working. I could spin my drives down using FreeNas and can not do it using NasLite. Write now Naslite is a $25.00 joke to me, it does not even support UPnP. If this is the case, I wish I would have had a response from the three emails I sent asking about meta data before I purchased it I would have known not to waste my money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

I would email dlink on this issue, if it will only see UPnP thats rather limiting, even most of the hardware nas devices don't support UPnP. And if thats the case even their description on the webpage is misleading

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318

Quote:
DSM-320 can also access media stored on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device2. No matter where your PC is located in the house, the DSM-320 allows you to enjoy the media content on your networked PC in the comfort of your living room without the hassle of running a network cable3. A wired network is recommended for optimal video streaming.

2. Certain features of this device may be unavailable when accessing stored media content on UPnP™ AV network attached storage devices.

From reading that, I certainly don't get the impression thats it requires UPnP, In fact I think it implies you get less functionality when using UPnP.