NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:15 pm 

I have 256MB ram and within a couple of hours of a restart, it goes up to 93-98% usage and slows the whole system down.

I restart, it's all quick again and within a couple of hours, back to almost all RAM used and slowdowns...

Baffled as to why - it's not being used half the time! Any ideas on what could be causing it or where I could look to find out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Do you see errors in the syslog at slowdown? Post the content of the syslog page for review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:40 am 

High RAM allocation is normal behavior in Linux. Could your issues possibly be caused by a faulty memory stick? Are you using 2x128? Try removing one of the sticks and swap it if the problem persists.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:37 pm 

carled wrote:
I have 256MB ram and within a couple of hours of a restart, it goes up to 93-98% usage and slows the whole system down.

I restart, it's all quick again and within a couple of hours, back to almost all RAM used and slowdowns...

Baffled as to why - it's not being used half the time! Any ideas on what could be causing it or where I could look to find out?

I am seeing the same behavior...except that I have a single stick of 512. After a relatively short period of time it says that it is 99% allocated...reboot and it drops down nearly to 0%...any ideas on what may cause this?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:03 pm 

Again ... this method of allocating RAM is NORMAL behaviour in Unix/Linux; the O/S will automatically allocate (and re-use) RAM as much as possible. The "slowdown" would NOT be normal ... but perhaps carled could quantify what he/she means by "slows the whole system down", and answer Tony's question/request for a SysLog, and try superboss's suggestion.

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:15 pm 

georg wrote:
Again ... this method of allocating RAM is NORMAL behaviour in Unix/Linux; the O/S will automatically allocate (and re-use) RAM as much as possible. The "slowdown" would NOT be normal ... but perhaps carled could quantify what he/she means by "slows the whole system down", and answer Tony's question/request for a SysLog, and try superboss's suggestion.

George thanks. I can not say for sure whether my server slows down or not. I have noticed that when I am writing to one of the disks in the NASLite server and reading(streaming video to a Networked media player) from another drive on the server, it does slow down the search and response time on the media player. It seems as though my network is swamped every so often. The bottleneck may very well be my Windows PC because the server software for my networked media player resides on the Windows machine.

I will try a new stick of memory when the price is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:23 pm 

bits:

I would agree with what you suspect as the most likely cause ("The bottleneck may very well be ... server software ... on the Windows machine."), and I don't think you need to do anything on the NASLite server side. But we should try to get carled to be as specific as your report ... :)