NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:07 am 

I want to spin down the hard drive and go into standby to save power when the server is not needed. Do I have to do this from the motherboard? Will NasLite let the motherboard go into standby and wake it up when needed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:34 pm 

Christopher:

The standby is not supported by NASLite. Even under Windows some vendors' desktop motherboards do not support coming out of standby mode very well ( laptops work great, but some of my desktops become unstable ). The real problem is how to wake the server from standby or how to have NASLite be fault-tolerant and waiting for the disk to spin up after requesting a file. It would be nice if you could just spin down the HDD to extend their life ... but the extra software to support that situation adds complexity (which add risk of instability).

My solution to the issue is a middle-of-the-road approach. I would like to extend life of the HDDs, but also not be inconvenienced by "climbing in the closet" (where the server is) and turn it on when needed. (Shutdown is a built-in function that can be done across the network.) So I wrote the SysRC script (http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1734). It allows shutdown and wakeup (if the NIC supports WOL) remotely. So, rather than just spinning down the disks, I shutdown for the extended periods the system is not needed, and the rest of the time the system is fully "ON" (and pretty much in use all the time just for streaming music). (The startup really does not take that long, even with the USB version ... it IS a compromise, but I am happy with it.)

Hope this helps.

:) Georg