NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:49 am 

i am taken with the idea of running the usb version off an ide-cf adaptor but am worried about getting it to work

there are a couple of threads on here about the pitfalls - not of the software but the compatibility of cf writers - i have a writer but have no idea if it will work

so if i ran into problems what are my options

go out and buy other cf writers until i found one that worked - not expensive but frustrating

or would 'Server Elements' change my software for the cdd version - as i understand the problems if it does not work on a CF then i would not have initiated the software so it would not be licenced - so changing it for a CDD version would still only mean i had one install with one license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:45 am 

If I were you, I'd stop worrying about what if and try things out. Taking an ocasional chance is good for you dude. You should try it sometime. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:54 am 

thanks - why not try and work things out??

as to chances - as a fire eating tight rope walker i take enough thanks - or are those calculated risks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:16 pm 

Try using the NASLite-2 USB installation disc and a CF card to see if you can program the CF. If you can then order up an IDE > CF adapter and it will (almost certainly) work.

I am running v2.05 from CF and I ran v2.04 as well. No problems for me at all - I actually used two different types of IDE > CF adapter. I prefer the one that plugs straight into the IDE socket on the motherboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:30 pm 

Alright dude,

With the USB you can boot from USB or a kicker floppy and with a bit of hacking, you can also boot from a CF or a small HD through IDE or a SCSI disk if your box supports that, or whatever your BIOS will boot. With the CDD you can boot from CD or with some hacking from USB, CF or HD or whatever, but config always goes to the floppy.

Take a look at syslinux. Once you understand how to use it, you can get Naslite to boot from anything your little heart desires.

Is that risk calculated enough for you? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:43 pm 

Quote:
i am taken with the idea of running the usb version off an ide-cf adaptor but am worried about getting it to work

there are a couple of threads on here about the pitfalls - not of the software but the compatibility of cf writers - i have a writer but have no idea if it will work

This is how my NASLite box is setup. I bought a CF-IDE adaptor for 99p on eBay (plus a couple of £s postage), and it works perfectly. My NASLite box doesn't have a working CD-ROM drive, so I booted by desktop up with the NASLite CD, installed NASLite on the CF card in the reader in my desktop, then installed this card into the NASLite box's CF-IDE adaptor. It worked first time and has worked flawlessly ever since.

I took a risk on it working, and it was worth it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:52 pm 

thank Peter - you have answered another couple of questions in your reply

much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:54 pm 

Tony,

No problem :) NASLite is a great product, you'll not be disappointed.

The only problem that I have encountered with my setup is what happens when it comes to NASLite updates - see this post.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:07 pm 

thanks Peter - again more questions answered - i had thought about a cf-ide adaptor on a back plate - will find one now

on the shut down have you read here

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 1467faa38e

link is at the end - not running 2 yet so cannot say it works but on 1.4 it does what it says