NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Path Too Deep
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:32 pm 

Hi all. I'm having a problem with my NasLite 2 CDD box. I just changed over from 600GB Raid 0 to a 1.5TB Raid 5 Array and had to move everything off the old array then copy back to the new array. Most of the data is DVDs that I've ripped so my kids can watch without having to access the physical DVD, and the other data is CD's which I've ripped so we don't need a CD player. In copying back over the DVDs (they are stored on several computers as I didn't have 600 GB free on one machine I keep getting errors saying Cannot Copy File <filename> The Path Is Too Deep. Now the path to the file isn't deep at all in terms of length (MovieName->VIDEOTS->File) so I know it's not really a "length" issue on the path. Also when this happens the transferring box locks up, my other PCs lock up and I have to reboot the NasLite box. It usually doesn't boot the first time up (I tend to get Disk error 80, Drive 9F). I got this with a single drive (non-raid), the Raid 0 Array (3-ware 7506-8) and now the Raid 5 Array. It only happens when I select a few DVDs to copy over (I'm copying 4 at a time and that "usually" works) but if I go more than that somewhere in the transfer things lock up.

I cannot access the Naslite box except locally as my other XP SP2 boxes lock up and the box seems to not be on the network but it responds locally no problem and can even ping other boxes before I reboot it. Is there a way to see the logs when this happens locally?

Also I am convinced it has to do with file size as it usually fails on one of the GB files of the DVD and I've copied over 200+ cds in a single copy (all files are < 100MB) and all copied no problem so I know it's not a # of file and seems to be a file size issue.

Has anyone else seen this happen? I googled and saw answers that ran the gammet. It has happened with a linksys switch and dlink switch so I don't think it's related to that. Any help would be much appreciated. Also the thing that locks up (at least on my home machine is sysfader) I sometimes can kill it and reboot the XP box sometimes I just have to reset/hard reboot it.

Thanks for any help

Lance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:12 pm 

Are you copying between shares or mapped drives? There are known issues with copying v.large files between shares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:07 pm 

I am copying a DVD set of files (nothing over 1GB really) from my local Raid 0 HDD to the share. If I copy one DVD sometimes I can go up to 3 DVDs if it is only the movie and not all the extras. If it's a full DVD set of files then I can copy about 2 of those. If I try to copy more than that from my local HDD to the share I get the error.

Lance

Post subject: Re: Path Too Deep
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:20 pm 

try “Long Path Tool” program