NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading how-to process
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 am 
I'm one of these users of this product that just uses it seamlessly and quietly in the background. I don't have test systems and either the time or the skills to talk this stuff daily ... so I'm asking for help here.

I want to upgrade to the Feb release (because of the rsync error reporting) but I have no idea how to actually do the upgrade. My NASlite box is at home, no screen or keyboard. I'm running the USB version 2. My techie stuff in at my office (spare screens and keyboards and power and space to spread stuff out). I'd like to just create a new USB stick at the office and just swap it out with the home NASLite server. I don't really want to have to lug the whole machine to the office. How do I save/restore my settings? Do I really have to start from scratch to get the new version running the same way as the old (mirroring settings and network stuff for example) ? Even if I do have to re-do the settings, can I actually create a USB stick on one machine and then swap it into my NASLite box - and then telnet in to do the registration and unlocking ?

Thanks in advance to all and any advice here.

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:45 am 

Hi Chris,

Ok heres what you can do,

I assume you have two usb pens? if you do program the new one at work using the method you have done before.

Then once you have programmed it reboot your office pc so that naslite loads up, here change your ip and enter in your license. save config.

you are now ready to boot this pen in your home nas. you will need to then use your browser to unlock the software if you havent all ready wrote this down. again save the config. and you all about just done. finally give all the options a once over to see if they are setup how you like, again save config and reboot for the last time, your nas is now ready to use.

----------------------
For me some times this works some times it dont, program the new usb pen at the office and thats all, then when you are at home boot the nas pull out the old pen and insert the new one, telnet to the box and save config. then finally reboot all the old settings will be saved to the new usb pen.

A third option, is to extract the iso and copy the files to your usb pen over writing the old ones. the saved config is uneffected.

A final note is take a look on the manual on the usb CD just so you are aware of any new features added to the software.

good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:15 pm 
Thank you so so much. I like your method 2 but it didn't work for me (the save options reported a fail).

I used the first method.

I suggest to T&R that these 3 methods (or your official ones) is either added to the product documents or stickied in a faq or something.

Or even better, how about an actual upgrade function built in so that we can telnet or http in and initiate an upgrade process remotely (much like my router has or my NSLU2 box).

Thanks to all.

- Chris