NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:20 pm 

I have a couple of files on one of my Naslite disk I can't delete. One is named "cmd.new" and the other "Disk-1_221206.log". How can I get rid of these. I accidently copied them from a drive I replaced. I keep getting a "cannot delete cmd:Cannot find specified file path. Make sure you specity the correct path"
Would like to clean these up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:34 am 

Come on Naslite authors. How do I delete these off my naslite harddrive? I know nothing about linux or the way it sets up harddrives file systems. Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:36 am 

Give someone a change to answer. It's was only just over 12 hours since you asked, and it was Friday night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Try deleting through FTP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:25 pm 

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:05 pm 

Server Elements guys,

Any chance this issue could get fixed so that files and directories can be deleted via other protocols besides FTP?

This does work as a workaround but it would be nice to have this working in AFP\NFS\SMB as well? Or maybe only AFP is busted because that is where I see it.

Otherwise, awesome product - thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 pm 

Unless someone tells me otherwise, i'd say there isn't anything wrong with smb or afp. If your client locks a file for edits and does not unlock the file properly, the file will remain locked for a period of time or permanently. FTP does not lock stuff, so that is your bailout. As I see it, Naslite does what it's supposed to.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:31 am 

dimension,

Not sure what you are observing but this is not the case with my several apple machines and I also have buddies who have seen this same exact issue. Also, this happens even when there are no files opened by any host machine - literally a few seconds after NAS boot. I have tried to delete a directory via AFP but not opened any files from my finder or any application.

There should be operational parity between any NAS folders and those found locally on any SATA or USB drive - again, this is not the case at present.

This is easily reproducible and I can provide the developers with more than a plethora of data to illustrate the issue.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:16 pm 

Strange problem, I have never seen this with my NL box and any of the computers I have used to log into it. I have used PCs, Macs, Sun Sparcs and all worked just fine.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Post a listing or screenshot from the web gui listing of the files that aren't deleteable.

Files will be listed in the this format:

-rwxr--r-- NAS-User NAS-User Jun 11 2007 137 kB mdnsd
-rw-r--r-- admin admin Aug 21 2007 192 B mdnsd.cfg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 pm 

Hello Ralph,

Been a while on this topic but frankly, it's been a while since I've seen the issue but it started occurring over the last couple of days as I started moving data around.

Attached is a screenshot from the web interface. The item in question is "Trash" and I am unable to copy when that file is included in the source. I believe this could be resolved by performing a FS repair but the key question is why did this occur?

This file is part of a dataset that is a backup made by rsync and is never touched.

Any thoughts?

Attachments:
cannot-delete_2012-03-02.tiff
cannot-delete_2012-03-02.tiff [ 109.06 KiB | Viewed 33814 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

That's most likely a file locking issue. What protocol are you using? AFP, CIFS, what?

Try deleting using FTP.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:52 pm 

Hi Tony,

I primarily use AFP in Lion (also saw this on Leopard and SL) and this only occurs when using that protocol - FTP is always successful in deleting the locked file.

What's weird is that these files are never accessed by users - well, mainly, it's only me so never accessed by me. The files I have had issues with are created due to a write operation resulting from a delta compare during an RSYNC-based backup. But after that, they are never touched again except for maybe by NL when the drives mirror each day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Are those files created through rsync or via an AFP share?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:05 pm 

Tony wrote:
Are those files created through rsync or via an AFP share?

RSYNC fires off via cron to create the files and then any browse or potential access (in the event a restore is needed via a simple copy) would be done via Finder using a manually mounted AFP volume but the key thing is that the files are never accessed from an open perspective once created. If they are needed, they are retrieved either via RYNCS (bulk restore) of copied via Finder\AFP.