NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:28 pm 

Well it started with NAS light 1.x was running nice for a long time with 4 drives in same hardware, then one day after system was stopped with proper command, 2 drives 250 Gb Seagate did not come up again (drive 3 and 4 are still ok). Now I waited for NAS USB 2, installed now and was hoping new NAS 2 would fix easier my problems :-). Was not that way, after hours I know following:
Whatever happend it must have been bad. Drive 1 seems to be broken on the driver electronic, because with NAS or also with DSL it does not boot and get stuck during boot process, seems to make some short on IDE bus. (same happens when installed in other PC hardware) So this Drive 1 seems to be ready for the garbage can.

Drive 2 installed in NAS light 2 ....NAS 2 boots up until Checking resources ====> after that it stays there, nothing happens.

When I boot Drive 2 with DSL (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/), it boots up, I can mount Drive 2, I can open the file manager, can browse the files, all looks normal :-)

But, when I shut DSL down, I get message that you should run e2fsck, because "checktime " is to long or similar.
I boot up DSL again, mount drive, all is OK. When i now open command window and run e2fsck, i get error and says superblock bad, run e2fsck -b 8193, I did, same message comes back. tied also e2fsck -p did not work. (in file manager all is still ok, can see all my files, browse files, directories)

Well thats it with my Linux knowledge. Anyone has any idea what to do now, to get my files back in NAS light?
Or maybe I have to mount a second disk in DSL and try to copy all the files over....guess this is not good idea when disk is corrupt (even all looks ok in DSL file manager, maybe it can get the files damaged more?

other question, why gets NAS light 2 USB stuck in boot process after checking resources, should it not come up and only mount the remaining good disks?

Any help appreciated, Wolfgang