NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:17 pm 

Hello,
I have the path "\\Nas01\Shares" mapped to "X:\" (WinXP Pro SP2). This allows me to easily search and browse through the entire contents of the Server NAS01. All four drives on this server are individually configured as R/W as per the status pages and when looking at the Telnet pages (only rsync is RO, and ftp is disabled)

Somtimes, though, I get "disk full" or "cannot save" errors, e.g. when I edited a file in photoshop that was opened using this (mapped) path.

It cannot be saved (although the disk is not actually full). Whereas if I use the standard UNC path to save (\\Nas01\Disk-1\... instead of X:\Disk-1\...), things work as expected.

What could be wrong here? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:55 pm 

I had this problem once. Rebooting NASLite fixed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

The problem is with windows and not with NASLite. The “Shares” share actually exports the read-only system area where the individual disks are mounted. The system area is approximately 8MB in total, so at any point in time, while running, NASLite will report the free space of that share as approximately 3.5MB.

The NASLite kernel does not report the capacity of the remaining filesystems, hence Windows thinks there isn’t enough room on the drive to save the file. Not much one can do about that since in reality, the root of the “Shares” share is not a drive but a part of the system ramdisk.

Hope that explains the behavior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:02 am 

Hi Tony, thanks for the insights.

Would increasing the ramdisk size alleviate the problem? With 500 MB RAM (which I have in my servers), there ought to be plenty of room for a larger ramdisk - maybe something that can even be done optionally/ dynamically in the configuration settings, or am I thinking too simple here?

I often deal with large amounts of files of ca. 60-120 MB that need to be batch processed. If I read/ understand this right, this problem could pose a considerable bottleneck!?
(To map the drives on the server individually (vs. using the share) is not a feasible alternative in my case/ workflow. Seems like I can move files, ususally delete them and edit the IPTC data in the file headers just fine, using digital assetmanagement software, but when it comes to saving, the problem mentioned occurs. "There is not enough disk space to save the document unless the existing copy is deleted first. Delete existing copy of "X:\ file..."?"

Would a larger ramdisk bring improvements?