NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:53 pm 

The Setup: I got NASLite USB v2.02 three days ago and installed it without a hitch on a Shuttle AN35N mobo. For start, I only attached a 300G Samsung PATA HD on the primary IDE channel as master. I also have a CD-ROM attached to the secondary IDE channel as master.

The Problem: When I built the setup, the only USB drive I have is this 1GB drive. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?loc=101&sku=202434195. Since only 7MB is used, I didn't want to waste all that capacity. So, I bought a 256MB Memorex Travel Drive. http://www.superwarehouse.com/Memorex_TravelDrive_256_MB_Flash_Drive/32509025/p/623771. I don't have problem using the utility program to create the bootable USB drive, but, the system won't boot as long as the HD is attached!. If I remove the HD, then the system boots. But, without HD, that defeats the purpose of NAS. :(

I tried to move the drive to different IDE channel and slot. I tried new cables. I tried configuration with and without CD-ROM. The bottom line is that as long as the HD is attached anywhere to the system, the system won't boot. The screen simply says "Boot Error".

Further Attempts: I borrowed a 128MB USB stick from a friend. It is a promotion item so I don't know what brand it is. But, it behaves just like the 256MB Memorex Travel Drive. Then I borrowed another friend's 128MB Lexar JumpDrive Secure http://lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_secure.html. Same thing! In all 3 cases, I don't have any problem configure and boot the USB drives, including getting unlock code, if and only if I don't attach the HD.

This problem has been bugging me for the past 2 days. I can still use the system with the 1G USB drive. But, it bugs me that I can't use any other USB drives in my posession. I just want to know why :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Is there hardware difference between USB drives? Why would the presence of HD cause boot failure :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 pm 

How is your BIOS set up to boot, what is the boot order and have you deleted the HDDs from the boot list?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:46 pm 

There are 3 devices listed in the boot sequece section in the BIOS. I set the 1st boot device to USB-HDD and disabled the other 2.

I have tried other USB options as well (still with boot device 2 and 3 disabled). The 1GB stick will boot with any USB-XXX setting: USB-Floppy, USB-HDD, USB-CDROM, and USB-Zip. The other 3 sticks will boot under any of those 4 USB-XXX settings as well, provided there is no HD attached to any IDE channel.

There is no question that my mobo supports booting from USB device. But only 1 stick will boot as expected while 3 others will only boot with no HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 am 

Additional information:

I thought I give it a shot at backing up the configuration from the bootable USB stick onto a non-bootable USB stick and see what happens. So, I booted into NASLite with the bootable USB drive; pulled it from the machine; plugged in a non-boot USB drive; and issued the Save Configuration command. The end result is "ERR-0B". If I repeat the Save Configuration command again, I get "gzip: /etc/ServerElements/cfg/config.dat.gz: File exists
ERR-0B".

The error messages are meaningless to me. Do they mean anything to anyone :?: