NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:26 am 

Hi,

I purchased 4 new drives today to test Naslite. I installed and setup Naslite2 USB just as the manual said to do. I formatted two of the drives that I had put in our nas box and rebooted (as I was told to do) and the computer would no longer boot, it just hung on "verifing DMA data". I thought one of the drives may have crapped itself or that the IDE controller may have died but using the other two drives I verified that this was not the case. To test further I boooted into DSL and had a look at the drives and the superblock information was wrong. I tried e2fsck to no avail. No information that I could find on the web will fix the problem and I now have 4 drives that I cannot use. I even tried to fix it via windows and windows didnt detect them. The bios detects them but naslite or any other operating system/utility CD I have doesnt (Windows, Knopppix, DSL, UBCD). I have also checked the USB drive and installed Naslite on a different USB stick to test if that was the problem (which it wasnt).

I have run out of ideas, could someone please help?

Cheers

Nathan
http://www.reddog.com.au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:34 am 

I ran in to this converting from v1.5 to v2 ... make sure the drives are set to NONE in Bios, even if it worked otherwise in v1.5. In one case I had to change the USB stick from USB-FDD (super-floppy) to USB-HDD (bootable partition).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:39 pm 

I have run out of ideas, could someone please help?

Ok lets assume the MB has died for a minute, I'd run further tests on the windows machine you have, this is know to work. remove anydrives on this machine that can be written to so they dont get screwed up. install one of your Nas drives set as a master on the primary channel, oh you might want to make a superfloppy of the usb flash incase you mb wont boot. then see if you can see the drive, have you partition magic or another type of partition tool just to confirm the drive is there, and download diagnostic tools for the HD. what model are these drives and type. and what was the mb u are using for the nas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:35 am 

Hi,

I just typed a reply but the connection to the BB timed out and I lost the whole reply.

I have done everything that has been advised to me so far and nothing has worked. The only way I can get the computer to boot is to use the Western digital utility to zero the first 64 bytes of the drive. Doing this allows me to boot the computer but when I format and setup the drive again using the NASlite storage configuration menu options the computer no longer boots.

Thanks for all of you help so far! Hoping that the magic fix will come sometime soon.

The drives are western digital WD800BB 80 GB drives.

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:56 am 

reddogG wrote:
Thanks for all of you help so far! Hoping that the magic fix will come sometime soon.

The drives are western digital WD800BB 80 GB drives.

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

its weird that for sure, have you tried the drives with another motherboard? What was the make of MB you was using the drives with?

I just remembered someone else who as soon as they formatted their drive they had a error close to yours it was something like verifing data pool or something close, i'll try to locate the post and how they resolved it.

found it http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 3d65a31d2a

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:12 am 

Finally got it working by setting drives in BIOS to none after using the Western digital utility to zero them out.

For anyone else who gets this issue I will describe the problem and the solution that worked for me.

I put my new drives into the NASlite box and booted sucessfully. I followed the setup instructions in the manual to the point of formatting the drives and rebooting. When I rebooted the computer hung on "verifying DMI data" and would not boot past that option.

I got it working by changing the BIOS settings for detecting drives from "Auto" to "None". When I rebooted everything worked fine!

Thanks again to Gaiden and Grumpa for heelping me out!!!!!

Great product! Would love to be able to add software RAID to the OS! It would really reduce the costs of setting up a RAID box instead I have to buy a RAID card!

Nathan
http://www.reddog.com.au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:38 am 

Well done Nathan, I am happy you got it working. it helps that people post back with how they resolved their problem so others can learn from it.