NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:44 am 

I'm booted up via a 256MB USB drive. I can see my 4 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives. I formatted all of them and put in my license number. Made other configurations like I think I'm supposed to.

I put my license number in and it was accepted but now I can't get the unlock code because I can't see the server on my network. I can't ping it from either direction. I tried finding he HTTP administration tool and nothing comes up.

Here's my ipconfig info from a computer on my LAN...
IP Address 192.168.0.179
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server 192.168.0.1
DNS Server 192.168.0.1

Should the server work just fine without the unlock code?
Should I see the ip address of the eth0 in my DHCP list for my router?
What trouble shooting steps do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your attention to this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:05 am 

Hello Schammy:

You should use a static ip address for the NASLite+ server, and that address should be outside the range of addresses the DHCP gives out.

Make sure you have saved the configuration to your USB stick, and also do a reboot.

Then, in an Internet Explorer window, you should be able to simply type the the following in the IE address field:

http://192.168.0.xxx/Status/htm/unlock.htm (substitute your address for xxx)

Rest should be easy.

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:41 am 

Thanks for your response. It brings up another question since I haven’t worked with static IPs before.

I see in the NAS configuration menu that I'm able to put in an IP address manually for the NAS server. I assume that's the static IP of the server?. And I need to make sure that address is outside the range of IP addresses that my router assigns via DHCP.

Now should I simply be able to put that manually-entered address in my web browser and see the server? (I'm at work right now and can't try it out)

In reference to your reply, I do save my configuration changes to the USB stick and rebooting for them to take effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:07 am 

Schammy:

You are correct. The IP address you enter manually in the NASLite "Network Configuration" menu is the static IP address. "static" simply means that this will be the address at which your NAS server will always be found. It will not change (until you change it and "Save Configuration"). Other addresses assigned by your router's DHCP may change frequently (usually when a PC reboots, but there are also other times when they could change). Your NASLite server needs a more "permanent" address.

Also, on the rest of the procedure: yes, I think you have it figured out. Let us know (after you get home) how things work out.

Minor clarification: When I said in my post above "(substitute your address for xxx)" ... the "xxx" is your NASLite static IP address (not the one for your computer obtained by ipconfig).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:00 pm 

I seem to recall my naslite box initialising with 192.168.0.1 as the default static ip address. Looking at your post above your dhcp server/dns server are listed at 192.168.0.1 already.

So it looks like your router/gateway is using 192.168.0.1 for itself and you'll be running into problems with the default naslite setup.

As georg said, change the ip of your naslite server to something else, outside of the dhcp pool on your router, and you should be set to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 pm 

Thanks for all of the advice. I got it unlocked and running as soon as I got home from work. :) Apparently all I needed to do was assign a good IP addres to the NAS that didn't conflict with my gateway. Seems to be working just great.

...with the possible exception of the SMART status on the SATA drives. My IDE drives are OK but not the two SATA ones. They don't show that SMART is working. I see there's a lot of discussion on this in the forum on this issue or one close to it. I'll have to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:27 pm 

Glad to help and happy you are "running" :D

As you (and I) have found out ... SMART is not yet supported on SATA ... :cry: