NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:34 pm 

Hi

Newbie here but I have searched the forum. Perhaps not well enough.

I have been using a Linksys NSLU2 and even UNSLUNG it at one point. But performance was an issue. (network speeds)

I recently stumbled across NASlite+ server suite which I promptly bought and installed the cd version to try it out This worked exceptionally well and I moved on to the NASlite+ USB version. again all worked well and I was as happy as a sand boy.

Being so happy I sent off a few questions about maybe adding user grops or shares in the future. TBH I wasn't expecting a response as its outside of NASLite's remit so to speak.

I did some more searching and then found FreeNAS. I liked it but it wasn't stable enough for my needs and only handled a RAID0,1 and 5 and 5 was less than stable.

I then went back to serverelements and found NASLite-2. I read the manual and (sober) bought it it at 11:40 one night with full intention of just replaceing my NASlite+ USB system in the morning.

Unfortunately this never happened my board that is an ECS RS400-A that had been using the thunderLan driver for its on board NIC failed to recognise the onboard NIC. gutted I read the forum and decided to go for a Netgear GA311 Gigabit PCI Adapter. no joy their either It sees the Nic the mac address and calls it eth0 I assign an IP address and nothing can't see it at all I can ping it locally for obvious reasons but not across the LAN. All cards work with FreeNAS btw

can anyone help a poor sobbing wreck whose spent nearly £300 now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:35 pm 

I looked at network tools and all the eth0 seems to be doing is dropping RX Packets, This doesn't happen on NASLite+ It also happens when directly connected to my Linksys Router... Please any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:10 am 

Can any admin shed some light on this please this setup works with Knoppix FreeNAS NASLite+ why not NASLite-2 whats th difference why the dropped packets, I've bought all the products

any help much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Admin

There are only two reasons that you should be experiencing the problem that you describe. One, and most obvious reason is improperly set address. Make sure that both the IP address and netmask are correct and saved before rebooting.

The second reason is hardware problems (NIC, Cabling, etc), but in your case I’d probably say that improper addressing causes the problem.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:21 pm 

Hi All

After a long and stressful journey with the long suffering assistance of Tony and Ralph (Thanks Guys)

I have the following setup working

x1 ECS RS400-A 256Mb RAM, Celeron D processor, x4 Maxtor 250Gb HDD and a Netgear GA311 Gigabit PCI adapter opposed to the onboard NIC.

Using Optimised Defaults and booting to the first device as USB-ZIP everything worked except I could not access the network even though the settings were ok and the network tools reported that the eth0 was assigning a 10.0.0.2 IP address to the MAC address of the Netgear GA311 Gigabit PCI adapter.

No RX packets were ever receive, however, After much searching we found that switching off "Assign IRQ to USB" resolved the issue. I hope this helps someone else who may have similar issues in the future.

Thanks for the support again guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:25 pm 

update Do not buy this board its not worth the hassel I've changed board to an older one no issues