NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:18 am 

As a very happy NASLite+ user, I purchased v2 the same day I was notified of its availability. Interstingly, the notification came just after my 6 month upgrade period had expired. Can't help wondering if the notification engine is programmed this way, judging by how many others had already got v2. Why wasn't I notified automatically when v2 was released?

Still, as I held NasLite+ in high regard, I bought the full license for v2. Now, I have a number of PCs here and also a number of USB keys. I have a NasLite+ as backup server and a Windowx XP with Promise RAID5 as main file server. When I saw that NasLit2+ supports h/w RAID 5, I thought, GREAT, at last I can convert my Windows server to NasLite2+.

BUT
I am having problems with many of my PCs including the Windows server (which is a current AMD 64/X2 motherboard) will not boot from a NASLite2+ USB.

I found that another PC with an ASUS mobo would boot, but only using my 1 GB USB, and not my 512 MB USB.

Then I discovered that not only do I need to have my secret download URL, plus my 25 character license, BUT I HAVE TO REGISTER THE PC before I can use NASLite2+!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This means that I can't switch my PC configuration as my System Key will no longer work.

People, we are now in the land of the Microsoft Activation Hell! Which means that even though you have paid for a license for your software, you have to keep going back every time you make a change to your system board, in the hope that you might get another unlock code. Well, I am frequently changing gear around, as I sell stuff I use and upgrade to new parts, so I reckon that I just WASTED my purchase dollars for NASLIte2-

In summary:
========
- my Windows Server motherboard refuses to boot from NASLite2 USB, so I am stuffed
- I cannot even test my paid for NASLITE2 on a test PC for fear of using up my unlock code
- the only USB that I could get to work (up to the unlock code problem) was a 1 GB. I know size is not important, but it's just unfortunate that my smaller USB wasn't compatible

PLEASE:
=====
Do not drive away your loyal licencees by using this activation unlock mechanism
Please release a bootable CD version of V2
Please convert my v2 USB license to a v2 CD version, so I can actually use what I already paid for on the PC it was destined for.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Admin

I'll answer all these questions, point to point.

pszilard wrote:
As a very happy NASLite+ user, I purchased v2 the same day I was notified of its availability. Interstingly, the notification came just after my 6 month upgrade period had expired. Can't help wondering if the notification engine is programmed this way, judging by how many others had already got v2. Why wasn't I notified automatically when v2 was released?

Since v2 isn't a free upgrade and anyone purchasing any of our products is entitled to a discount price at anytime, why is a email before your 6 months has expired make any difference?

Quote:
I am having problems with many of my PCs including the Windows server (which is a current AMD 64/X2 motherboard) will not boot from a NASLite2+ USB.

There are more motherboards out there that will *not* boot usb, than those that will, did you try using the kicker floppy? One other thing, are you sure the machine is running in virtual 8086 mode, NL2 is 32 bit, and you have a 64bit board.

Quote:
Then I discovered that not only do I need to have my secret download URL, plus my 25 character license, BUT I HAVE TO REGISTER THE PC before I can use NASLite2+!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This means that I can't switch my PC configuration as my System Key will no longer work.

The unlock code is only needed to mount the drives, you can test various hardware all day long, once done, request a unlock code. I don't recall anyone saying you have a one chance unlock code. If your hardware changes request another.

Quote:
People, we are now in the land of the Microsoft Activation Hell! Which means that even though you have paid for a license for your software, you have to keep going back every time you make a change to your system board, in the hope that you might get another unlock code. Well, I am frequently changing gear around, as I sell stuff I use and upgrade to new parts, so I reckon that I just WASTED my purchase dollars for NASLIte2-

I think you just reckoned a little too much, as Tony has *posted* before there is no limit on the amount of unlocks that will be issued. And no where, including the manual is there a disclaimer saying there are a certain amount.

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=971&sid=01f70f52bfffcc1753c82eb48bc1a7fe

Last edited by Ralph on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:46 am 

Oh, I forgot to mention that the on one PC that actually booted from USB, NASLITE2 would not use the GIG NIC, only the 10/100. I also have a GIG NIC in my file server which is what I bought NASLITE2 for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Turn the onboard nic off. NASLite will use the first nic card it see's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:49 am 

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I did indeed overlook the kicker FD. I have also switched off the motherboard NIC so NASLITE will only find the GIG NIC card.

For some strange reason my 512 MB USB does boot NASLITE via the kicker FD, but it can't seem to save the info, so I am working on the 1 GIG USB.

I have disconnected the Windows HD and am now in the process of attempting to setup NASLITE to access the 4x 200 GB SATA disks via the Promise Raid card, hopefully in RAID 5. I had saved their contents across to my NASLITE1+ backup server. I also successfully obtained an unlock code (accessing the net via the GIG NIC), so perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel?

I will report back. -- Just looked and the NASLITE2+ PC is up and awaiting HD configuration...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Find a program from Hewlet Packard call "HP usb disk storage format tool"

This will zero out and reformat your USB keys, then remake the key with NASLite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Hello Paul,

Quote:

The intent here is not to prevent you from doing what you like or want. The intent is to protect your investment in Server Elements. The unlock code is not in place to restrict you. It’s in place to attempt and restrict folks that opt to ignore our licensing and are continuously dumping illegal copies of NASLite on every warez and torrent site you can name.

As far as your “Microsoft Activation Hell” remark goes, that’s hardly the case. We don’t have the distribution network that Microsoft has, so we don’t dump millions of copies to everyone and everything that happens to be using a PC. In addition, we don’t have the legal leverage that Microsoft can afford. Purchasing NASLite is a choice that people make simply based on the merits of the software. It is only fair that we continue to improve the product and support the folks that choose to use it. That makes the modest income generated by NASLite sales indispensable.

I hope that puts things in a better prospective for you Paul. Thank you for supporting Server Elements. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:36 am 

I have experienced problems making the USB key too. The solution I found, was setting the USB in the BIOS (on the PC where I create the key) to V1.1 only. The created key then worked perfectly in the NASLITE box.

Just remember to reset the USB in the BIOS back to V2!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:12 am 

Tony: Well, I totally agree in supporting the dev team by purchasing licenses as required.

Herkaun: I tried to make the USB create process on the actual PC that was to be the NASLite server. I booted from CD and tried creating the USB. Should I set the PC's BIOS to USB 1.1 on this box?

Performance: I now have NASLite2 working in non-raid mode using 4x SATA drives as individual shares. I am copying from a NASLite1+ box via a Windows XP to the NASLite2+ box. All PCs are on GIG NICs and GIG switch of course. Interestingly network traffic is only around 5 M bits per second. Previously just copying between XP and the NASLite1+ I was getting up to 120 Mbps. Very odd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:36 pm 

I would set the BIOS of the PC that I am creating the USB key on, to use USB V1.1 only. That worked for me.