NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: v2 Administrivia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:52 pm 

The USB and Firewire support in v2 lets me move storage around, which is helpful when I have a heavy load on the server (ie. video streaming). Is it possible for the "Server Storage" administration page to show .ext2 or .ext3, journaled or not journaled, maybe USB/Firewire ... something more descriptive than Disk-n ? Also - minor point - when I was checking to see if I did or didn't journal a drive, I noticed that the option wasn't "greyed out" (unavailable) on those drives that I did journal. Is it possible to "over-journal" a drive or will it just be caught and ignored?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Filesystem information is available in detail at the Status pages. Take a look at the individual disk status page. “Status/htm/storage-Disk-0.htm” for example. There, take a look at the File system Details section. In particular, File system features, where you’ll see “has_journal” for an ext3 file system.

You can’t “overjournal”, so applying a journal to an existing ext3 has no real effect on that file system and is not a problem.

Identifying the drives per interface is probably more trouble than it’s worth due to the way Linux works. Everything SATA/SCSI/USB/FireWire/RAID is SCSI as far as Linux is concerned.