NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:16 am 

Hi...I have an old NASLite-2 system that stopped working a few years back. I believe I had most (but not all files) backed up, so I have not worried about it too much. I had tried to resurrect the NASLite system without luck, and now I am trying to simply pull the drives out and mount them via a USB-SATA adapter on a Windows 7 system.

The NASLite-2 config is that had one Western Digital WD5000AACS 500GB SATA hard drive which contained the data, and one served as a copy in the NASLite-2 system...I pulled the drives and tried to mount them on Windows using a UGREEN USB-SATA adapter (the adapter has extra power and I can hear the drive spin up and I can see it register on the Windows system in the Printers and Devices window, however the drive is not mounting (I was hoping it would mount as a regular USB drive, however it does not show in Windows Explorer as a mounted drive). I have done this with old hard drives from fried Windows laptops before, but this simple process is not working here.

Does anyone know a simple solution to this problem? SHould this normally work?

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:34 pm 

There are repair tools for the file system and that may restore the NAS function so you can pull your data off the drive in the NASLite box.

NASLite uses EXT2 or EXT3 for the file system on the drives and as such the data will not be visible in Windows with the drives hung off like you are trying. There are a few ways to migrate the data off the drive. There are some tools for Windows that will allow you to mount and read EXT file systems. As an alternative you could simply use a live Linux CD to boot the windows machine. The live Linux boot CD will mount the HDDs read only so you would have to enable write to be able to transfer the data to the windows drive. Or you could mount a thumm drive and pull the files that way too.

A quick search on Google will show a number of ways to get the job done. I prefer the Live Linux way as it has tools to repair a damaged file system as well.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:13 pm 

Thank you Mike -- this is very helpful and much appreciated!

I will try this out as soon as I have time in the coming days/weeks when I have time, and will bounce back to confirm resolution and/or with any further questions.

Thanks again!
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm 

Forgot to add that a file system that is corrupted may take a day to repair in some cases with a large drive/s. NASLite does have a file system repair option in one of the menus if memory serves. Again, this can take hours or even a day to complete!

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:36 pm 

Hi Mike,

I just logged in and realized I never posted a final response regarding this thread. Your suggestion worked great, and I was able to read the EXT drive using the Ugreen USB 3.0 to SATA III hard drive adapter and Ext2Fsd driver software. That was a real life saver and fairly straightforward.

Many thanks, Mike!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:33 pm 

davew wrote:
Hi Mike,

I just logged in and realized I never posted a final response regarding this thread. Your suggestion worked great, and I was able to read the EXT drive using the Ugreen USB 3.0 to SATA III hard drive adapter and Ext2Fsd driver software. That was a real life saver and fairly straightforward.

Many thanks, Mike!

Glad it worked out for you.

Mike