NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:45 pm 

Will those of you that still use NasLite M2 or NasLite in general please wake up this forum by posting something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 am 

This is a post... There you go!

What exactly are you expecting? This is a NAS appliance software package and when installed on good hardware it is trouble free for years. As such most post here are of the sort where people are trying to do more with it that it is designed to do. That or they simply didn't RTFM.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:12 pm 

not so true this op has not been updated since 2013
no one responds to posts or messages sent to developers
so i have Naslite m2 64 ver 1.68 wich was created in 2013 but none of my tv's ,setop boxes with dlna even see's it as media server :twisted:
i have tried alot of media server (freenas, openmediavault, nas4free, ubuntu server) and non of these has media server working some are complicated to setup some have no manual but the are being updated naslte has not been undated
it don't even have ext4 as option to format drives :shock:

what i wanted to say is the developers of naslite m2 have not had an update to thier product since 2013
they don't respond to request for support so this software is basically dead but they still take your money
the other ones i mention earlier are free (give those a try)
:x
but not to worry this dnla is broken all over i believe this is so we have to stream from only pay services
not saying this is Serverelement's fault

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:58 pm 

The only reason that I use NASLite is because it has the ability boot from a usb thumm drive and allows me to have more thumm drives with the same configuration that are bootable. There only 2 other NAS OS's that allow booting from usb thumm drive and those are Nas4Free and FreeNas. The only thing about those is that there is no mirroring ability that is as good as NASLite. I've tried many other NAS OS's and they are over kill for my needs.

Maybe one day the developers will wake up but, until then, many that used NASLite have moved on to other solutions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:17 am 

Installed 2013 ver. 1.68. Works immediately off old Compaq with mirrored disks. Just fired up to refresh backups after a year (!) and absolutely faultless. An example of exemplary coding. Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:28 pm 

FWIW, I kinda see both sides here...it does seem like SE dev has all but ceased but as many have said, the latest rev is working pretty well with many pieces of still available hardware. If you're looking for new feature dev - stuff like ZFS, etc. - then you're probably not gonna see that happen and you may need to consider something like FreeNAS. But if you have an unused PC sitting around - or even a small newer one like from QoTom - then you can still build a very solid and reliable NAS for very low cost. I couple my PC with gear from Addonics and WD and my system runs for 300-400 days at a time no prob.

As with most thing tech - how good something fits always comes down to your particular use-case and set of expectations...