NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:28 am 

A while back I experimented with install NASLite as a guest on VMware. For me the benefit was server consolidation but I did not want to pay a price of less performance like with my last experiment. Here's the thread. http://www.serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3196

On a whim I decided to install NASLIte-M2 x64 v1.65 on a new VMware ESXi 5.0 host. The only real difference between the old NASLite server and the new server is that I now have a dual core AMD vs a single core Intel P4. I also went from a 3ware 9500S to a 3ware 9650SE RAID card. Memory and networking are unchanged.

I now see sustained transfer rates of 78MB/s vs the 45MB/s on the previous P4 server. I suspect the new RAID card being PCIe is making a big difference and that the same hardware on a bare metal NASlite install would be even faster.

I was satisfied with the ~40MB/s of my old setup so the surprise of 78MB/s plus the added benefit of virtualizing NASLite makes this successful project. :mrgreen:

-John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:48 pm 

Curious.

Do you anticipate the use of your NasLite Virtual Machine will significantly impact the network performance of other VM's sharing the same host NIC?

Cheers ... Phil Usher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 pm 

The motherboard only has a single nVidia GigE NIC so I purchased a cheap 2nd GigE adapter and installed just yesterday. The NASLite server is the only 24x7 VM. I turn on the other VM's as needed. I can run two or three VM's before performance is impacted. More memory would help but I really don't need it for what I do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:24 am 

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:46 pm 

I realize that this is an old thread. Perhaps the OP could shed some light on their setup?

I recently installed ESXi 6 on a machine and migrated my old NAS drives from a dedicated NASLite box over to create a new ESXi server. I chose to use RAW Device mapping for storage but I have encountered one problem that has me stumped.

I can FTP in to the NASLite M2 x64 Virtual Machine and download/copy files off of the hard drives to my laptop, but I am unable to upload the updated files back via FTP, AFP, etc.