NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 am 

hey,
I dont have NASLite yet, but im looking forward to buy a M2 and the "plain" NASLite 2 Server. I would like to backup the M2 Server onto the NASLite 2 Server, but i still hava a view questions:
1. How exactly does the M2 handle the shares? I read in a german forum that all NASLite products are designed to be more like a workgroup so the user management is sort of crap.
2. Does NASLite M2/NASLite-2 spin down the drive if they are idle for to long (would save a lot of energy)?
3. What Filesystem das NASLite use? I only found some older stuff that talks about ext2...
4. Do 4TB drives work? (some here in the Forum say yes, some stuff from the internet says no)
5. As far as i know NASLite boots also from USB devices is that correct?

I also send this questions to the support but they seem to be busy (or i mistiped my own mail^^)

Would be great if someone could help me.

Thanks a lot
Aderalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi.

Quote:
1. How exactly does the M2 handle the shares? I read in a german forum that all NASLite products are designed to be more like a workgroup so the user management is sort of crap.

NASLite doesn't support users or share security. You can make shares read only.

Quote:
2. Does NASLite M2/NASLite-2 spin down the drive if they are idle for to long (would save a lot of energy)?

I believe there are some posts on here about that, NL doesn't directly spin them down, there are pitfalls to doing this, especially with raid setups.

Quote:
3. What Filesystem das NASLite use? I only found some older stuff that talks about ext2...

Currently Ext3, next release we plan on bumping this to Ext4

Quote:
4. Do 4TB drives work? (some here in the Forum say yes, some stuff from the internet says no)

Yes, NL supports these drives using GPT partitioning, people having problems have installed the OS onto the drive as well, which won't work correctly. USB installs for large drives are recommended.

Quote:
5. As far as i know NASLite boots also from USB devices is that correct?

Yes.