NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 pm 

Hello, I have just installed NL-M2 to a box I've built that has 2 x 4TB HDD and 2GB of RAM. All functions work, except Disk-0, where is where the OS is installed only shows 1.6TB of free space. All drives have been exported and I'm only using 2% of RAM space.

Can anyone suggest what I've done wrong, or have I missed something?

Thanks
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:01 am 

I prefer to use a CF or SD card for the boot drive and not have the OS on the data drives. Makes updates a snap and keeps the potential for loss of data to a minimum. I suspect that you might have partitioned the drive in error and this might explain the problem.

Tony or Ralph should be able to help a bit more than I can. A copy of the log might help too so get that and put it up.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 pm 

Thanks, ended up trying a USB memory stick, which worked for awhile during testing then stopped booting.
Gave that away when I couldn't find a reason as to why it wouldn't load and installed a 3rd hard drive, just to load the OS onto. That worked for awhile and now it doesn't boot up either.

I suspected that there may be a hardware issue on the Motherboard and have moved SATA cables around to try and see if it is a SATA port issues, but that didn't help.Also removed all hard drives, except for the with with the OS on it without any luck.

What gets me is this PC was working fine, but only with 1 hard drive before with Linux on it, and now it's stopped.

The BIOS sees all the hard drives and USB memory stick when booting up, so I confused that while the PC looks right the NL OS doesn't want to work properly.

When you boot the PC it goes through the normal BIOS startup screens and gets to a point after it detects all the hardware elements in the box and just stops, no beeps or error messages and sits there as if it is expecting to see a boot partition on the hard drive or USB stick.
I've aslo booted off the CD disk I made from the NL image and run the diagnostic software, but can't see anything pointing to a PC hardware error.
Has anyone had this experience before?

Robert.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:56 pm 

I have in the past and sometimes it was the memory and others it was the board it's self. I would run a rigorous memory test over night and see if you come up with any errors.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:36 am 

OK, shall do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:19 pm 

Still trying to solve this issue of only seeing 1.6TB of a 4TB HDD.
I ran the NL diagnostic program to see what it told me and it sees disk-0 but says there are two partitions. On is EXT2fs and the other is a DOS partition.
How do I remove the 2nd partition so I can only have one?
This is a new drive (or was new when I brought it 1 year ago), so it's never been used in anything before.

Thanks

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:44 pm 

IF you don't care about the data on the drive at this point I would use a live CD like Knoppix to mount and format the full drive. After that you should be able to load the partition and get it done. There may be a limit to the size of the partition that NL will mount. I am pretty sure that the block size will get rather large at that size partition you will be wasting allot of space if you store small files on the drive. You might be better off if you instead have a few smaller partitions.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 pm 

Thanks went and tried Puppy Linux on a bootable CD and it keeps dropping back to the prompt. I think I stuffed up with the disk by finalising it rather than leaving it open. So I'll build a new bootable disk and try again. I'm starting to wonder if Naslite file size is limited to around 1.6 GB, so by partitioning it into several smaller drives I might over come the limitations.
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

You'll need to boot from a usb key to see the entire disk size correctly.

Without going into details, large partitions require a gpt partition. Making the drive bootable installs a dos boot partition, which causes the data partition to not identify itself correctly. Boot from a usb key, reformat your data with NL and you'll be all set.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:12 pm 

So I assume that booting from a CF card in an IDE interface would not cause that problem with any large drives., correct?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Correct.