NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:16 pm 

Running Windows 7 Home Premium. Server is NasLite-M2 1.64.

I can telnet to the server from the Windows machine, however the server does not appear in the Network portion of Windows Explorer.

If I try to map the server [\\NASLite-M2\Disk-1] to a drive, say Z:, the process hangs requiring me to Cancel
it. I tried this with asking and without asking to "Connect using different credentials", but this made no difference.

On the network side I have one machine connected wirelessly and one connected w/Cat 5. I cannot not see the NASLite-M2 server through either type of connection.

In the past I had run the client as an XP machine and was able to see the NASLite server. Is this problem perhaps due to a Windows 7 setting that I've overlooked, please?

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:35 pm 

i assume you have turned on telnet client in programs and features via control panel - think you must have - from there all i can say is that on windows 7 pro and ultimate i have no problems - i did not set anything up the naslite server was just seen as normal

it could be home premium - various things are left out of it - not sure what

have you in installing 7 kept the same network name different versions of windows use different name - home or workgroup are the main 2 - you will have added whatever was used in xp to the naslite config

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:46 pm 

A couple of other pieces of information:

I run iTunes and it sees the NASLite-M2 server as a DAAP device and works just fine.

Windows Explorer sees the NASLite-M2 server as a "Media Device" but only to let me play files through Windows Media Player. What I need to do it to access the files on the box so that I can edit them as well as play them, something that I was able to do through Windows Explorer under XP.

I did double check the group name for the server and for the network and they are the same. [Have made that mistake in the past.]

Thanks again ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:56 pm 

hmmmmmm -dont have a home premium machine to try it with but that would be my next area to look at - do you have access to a machine with pro or ultimate on it - see if that works

if so you could use upgrade assistant on yours or just upgrade to pro or ultimate - would need a new key maybe :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 am 

OK, thanks very much for the advice. I'll do some research on this as I'd hate to spend the money for an upgrade only to find that that didn't fix the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:40 am 

true - if you have a spare drive you could install 7 pro or ultimate and see if it worked you dont need to buy to try it for 30 days - they can be downloaded via legit links

not sure its correct to post here so if you dont know where to get them pm me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:00 pm 

I'm using Win 7 Home Premium.

Have also experienced Naslite missing from windows explorer, but then suddenly reappearing again after a few days. Sorry, I have no idea why.

However, I have always been able to access the drives by using the full IP+Share name. Such as:

\\192.168.1.12\Disk-0

entered in the address bar of Windows Explorer.

Jon