NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:51 am 

Hello,

I recently came across an alarming issue the other day. I configured my NL-M2 box perfectly, and it has been accessible across my network to every device in my home.

Yesterday my NL-M2 box was on but it was not appearing on any of my computers (I am using both my MacBook Pro 2011, and a 2008 iMac with Mountain Lion), although I could see the NL-M2 box via the http url to check on the devices status. I must repeat that this was not the case last week as I could see the NL-M2 system in Finder, but not anymore.

I was puzzled and used telnet to login to the NL-M2 admin panel. I logged in without any issues, and saw that there were no changes to the setup. I even made sure to check all of the settings, and they were identical to how they were setup originally. I then tried restarting the NL-M2 setup, and that seemed to correct everything temporarily. Once the NL-M2 system restarted it appeared in finder for about 5-10 minutes (I could see all of my drives) but then it disappeared from finder :(

Any ideas or thoughts? The only thing I can think of was a recent OSX update from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 for both systems. I also installed iSub (only on my iMac to stream my music outside of my home network, and iSub has an auto configuration to allow my router to stream outside of the network. Not sure if it meddled with my router settings or not.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond, and I look forward to your input :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 pm 

Hmmm... I think that because apple had updated their Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) some issues arose, although I did not previously have any issues with OS X 10.6.8 on my Macbook Pro, and OS X 10.7 on my iMac, nor in OS X 10.8... seems the issues began in 10.8.2

I also noticed my version of NL-M2 was version 1.66, and I see the latest version is up to 1.67. I bit the bullet and ended up upgrading to NL-M2 x64 (since I have a dual cpu system). Definitely faster than before, and now the system sees all 12GB of RAM instead of limiting it to only 4GB before :)

If I still encounter issues I will post back.

On a side note, I found a few sites that show a person how to roll back AFP to an earlier version, as it appears that it has created issues with other types of NAS systems as well. Best link is below from Apples' website with the work around.

Apple doc on connecting to legacy AFP devices with instructions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:02 am 

Still running into the same issue with NL-M2 x64 disappearing from Finder and iTunes. I can see the drive via the http URL, but I do not see it in Finder on either computer. When I restart it appears for about 5 minutes and then disappears again :(

Any ideas?

I tried using a different cat5 cable as a precaution. Could it be that the Hard Drive I have installed NL on is going bad (HD-0)? It is just an old 60GB 2.5 PATA drive from a laptop I had years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

What version of NASLite are you running?

I'm currently running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with no issues with my NLM2 x64 box.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm 

Hi Ralph,

I am using NL-M2 x64 v1.67 02-2012, which I just downloaded yesterday.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Is this in the finder or iTunes? there is a known issue with DAAPD with the current version of iTunes that causes that behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:57 pm 

Hi Ralph,

My NL-M2 is disappearing from both Finder and iTunes on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. The only workaround as previously mentioned is restarting the NL-M2 box, but then it is only visible for the first 5-10 minutes and then it disappears again :(

I have NL-M2 installed on a 60GB 2.5 PATA drive (HD-0), and was thinking that perhaps the hard drive is going bad. I checked all of my cables internally, and everything is seated properly.

I might dig out another HD and replace to see if HD-0 is the culprit. I will report back, but in the meantime any other ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:37 pm 

hmmm... seems I am not the only one with this issue...

A temporary fix thus far has been to follow a post that states:

Quote:
Start Finder
Select Go
Select Connect to Server
Enter TimeMachine address as follows: afp://<IP address>/
Select + and Connect

Also, other people have the same issue with Finder dropping the network share drive in the sidebar.

I have run disk permission repairs, and I am thinking about downloading the ML 10.8.2 update and installing it on top of itself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 am 

Replacing the boot drive in NL will get you nothing. It only hits it on boot and never there after until a reboot or a save of the configuration.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:26 pm 

Hi mikeiver1,

hmmm... it appears that using finder to connect to the server (previous post) makes my NL-M2 box appear, but I need to do it every time I reboot my iMac and MacBook Pro. Prior to that it just appeared on my systems until updating OS X Mountain Lion to 10.8.2.

All services in the NL box are on (AFP, RSYN, DAAP, etc.) and were working flawlessly before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:36 pm 

Considering that Apple has a propensity for breaking anything that is not Apple I am not surprised. The GF has a MB Pro with 4GB of DDR2 mem, she can't upgrade to the latest OS because the laptop is not DDR3. WTF!!! Guarantied obsolescence for no reason just to try and for the customer into buying a new laptop. "F" apple.

Disclosure: We have an iPhone5 64GB, a loaded out MacBook Pro, and an iPad3 (pardon me, "NEW" iPad). There are issues with them all but I use SMB rather than AFP and don't seem to have the issues you have found.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 pm 

Hi Mike,

It seems that from the various forums for other NAS setups, it appears to be a 50/50 percentage for those that either have everything working or not working... dang frustrating to say the least!

I just want to figure out the issue and resolve it, but for now this temp fix will have to do :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:18 am 

Think I solved the issue... completely forgot that I had auto-mounted the NAS server in the past, and I guess that with the upgrade to 10.8, OS X dropped the auto-mount.

So far so good! Been one week, and no issues with the NAS box disappearing even after numerous shutdowns and restarts with both my MBP and iMac :)

Thank you all for listening, and the suggestions.