NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:44 pm 

Hello SE team,

Weird issue here. I decided to change the host machine and after doing so, all drives fail when the system performs the "Checking storage filesystem" steps and when I check the drives in the "Storage Configuration" section of the admin client, all of the drives are unmounted with the only option being to format the drives.

All drives were accessible and working fine prior to the host machine change. No other changes were made and there are no apparent fail messages in the boot logs. Also, I have disabled all unnecessary items in BIOS.

The system is running v1.61 and the drives are EIDE housed in an external USB controller all accessed via a multiplexed USB port. Also, the system required a new unlock code after the host machine change which has been entered and the system is unlocked.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:31 am 

new unlock code is normal - thats needed when things change

as to the drives - odd - are you using the same version of naslite after the rebuild - can you go back to the old setup just to check they are ok - if you have not written to them they should be - sounds to me like the usb hardware - cannot see it being naslite

take one out of its housing and attach it without the usb kit via a normal ide port

dut if there is valuable data on them i would put the drives somewhere safe and do any messing with a spare drive or two

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:22 pm 

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. The drives are fine - I actually connected them to a USB port on my other NL2 system and they came right online - no issues whatsoever. So net-net, there is something about the Dell Latitude (yep - old laptop) I am using that is causing the drives to not be read properly.

I have a few of these Latitudes laying around and was hoping to be able to use them as reliable NL2 machines but now I have some concerns.

If anyone out there has done this with the Dell Latitude or any other laptop, please chime in - I would like to know what other success\fail folks have had.

Also, feel free to comment on the particular issue I started in this thread - very strange and would love to figure it out if possible...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:05 pm 

I am thinking that the USB drivers are either not there or are bonking on the attempt to load them. How about a copy of the boot log after the appliance is quesant.

Mike