NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:50 pm 

My NASLite box isn't showing up on the network. V1.02 03-2009

I can telnet just fine and connect. I can connect using windows explorer with the mapped network drives I previously setup. I can also type in the ip address into internet explorer and it displays the server info just fine. I can also type in the ip address into mozilla firefox on the Mac and connect to the status pages. Also when I use internet explorer to browse to the dlink router the naslite box shows up there with the correct ip displayed. The media folder worked on a new TV I got over christmas though I have not tried it since.

However the naslite box doesnt show up when I try to go through "Microsoft windows network" and browse to the server. Also it is not showing up on the Macs I have either when trying to browse through Finder.

The workgroup is the same as my windows XP computer.
submask is the same.
The ip of the server is within the dlink routers range.

naslite says these are currently enabled: telnet, http, rsync, ftp, smb/cifs, nfs, afp, upnp

The router is a Dlink dir-655. I am guessing the issue is here but I can't see it. Only reason I am thinking it is here is because this is a new router in the last 6 months and really have not used the server much since then, actually it set turned off for a long time.

What am I missing here?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Probably need to update your NASLite box. Or back the Microsoft update out of your XP box.

NASLite-M2 v1.65
Addresses SMB/CIFS issue introduced with Microsoft update KB2536276
(Prevents connections to SMB/CIFS share)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm 

ah..

never updated before.. is there a quick link on how to go about doing that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:39 pm 

If your download link is over 6 months old then you will have to buy an upgrade. It is cheaper than the original, which was also cheap, and then it is really fast.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 pm 

yep found the retrieve download link was beyond 180 days but said I could pay for an upgrade. paid about $5.00 (awesome price by the way) that was easy enough.
It says I will get a new email.. but haven't seen it yet. I'll wait a bit longer.

In the meantime, I moved my nas ip address outside the dhcp range of my router (as I thought that might be interfering) and that seems to have made it visible to windows.. have not checked the Mac yet. I'll have to mess with the Macs tomorrow (wife turned off her computer).

Still happy to upgrade, been a long while.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:08 pm 

The DHCP issue you mention can cause the kind of issue you were experiencing. I narrow down my DHCP to just the devices I want on the filter by specific MAC to prevent that from occurring.

Check your spam folder for the DL link if you don't have it yet. This has happened to me before.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am 

Yeah the DHCP resolved the issue with my windows machine. But on the Macs I still can't browse to the NAS and view files (we will see after the update).

I found the update.. or rather the email with the download link. It went to my wifes email rather my email I registered here with. I think that is because it went to the email that Paypal was setup with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm 

Mac OS has "trust" issues and requires that you make a simple change to the OS to allow a no password login. I had to do this to the GF's Mac for SMB access. You can simply enable AFP as well, the performance is better and it should work without all the issues that MicroSoft causes with updates and changes to the SMB.

Mike