NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:46 pm 

I'm running NL-M2 v1.66 on which I store backups created with Paragon Hard Disk Manager (HDM). I updated HDM recently, burned the Windows 7 PE-based recovey disk and decided to check that it worked correctly. I booted into the CD recovery environment and discovered that I could not map either of the two NL-M2 drives using the "browse" button which allows you to view the Windows network. I can map them by typing in a UNC path, e.g. \\NASLITE-M2\Disk-0. Also, when I boot my PC into Windows 7, the NL-M2 server does not appear on the Windows network, but drives can be mapped using a UNC path. Network browsing is working as I can see other devices on the network in the same workgroup (named MSHOME).

After thinking long and hard, it looked like it could be a problem with the Windows Workgroup name used to configure NL-M2. If I telnet into NL-M2, the Workgroup name is dispalyed as MSHOME on the NETWORK CONFIGURATION MENU. However, if I view the Server Status web page it's displayed as WORKGROUP, not MSHOME. Refreshing the browser page makes no difference.

The Network Status page shows that there is an active CIFS connection to 192.168.1.72 (my Widows 7 PC). However, the name assigned to the connection is minint-3k07jts which is the name assigned to the PC while I had it booted recently into Linux Mint 12 using a live CD. The genuine name of the computer is MyPC (how prosaic).

Something has become very muddled. Somehow, the two views show different values for the Windows Workgroup and that's probably the basis of not being able to browse NL-M2 on my network. Irrespective of how this has happended, how do I resolve the issue so that both display MSHOME? Presumably, that will then fix the problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by leicray on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:38 pm 

I've managed to resolve matters by performing another reboot. No idea why that has worked now as I'd rebooted just prior to my original post which reported the problem. I have Status Update set at 15 minutes, so the discrepancy between the telnet and web-browser displays of the Windows Workgroup setting remains a mystery. All sorted now, however.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:24 pm 

Howdy,

I have and continue to experience the same problem as you. However, as noted
in a post made earlier it was incorrect on my part to assume that the issue had
been resolved. It has not!

There seems to be a large number of Win7 users who have and are experiencing
the same issues with some degree of success/failure in resolving the Win7 to Linux
network recognition problem.

I was not able to use the identical s/w as you indicated for backup/restore due to
this problem of not being able to find the backup files since the Win7 network will
not actknowledge the location of the files.

There is a huge amount of frustration in the user community over this but having
tried most all of the suggestions for resolution I still have the problem.

Whether it is Samba are Windows it is not clear. Thank you for trying and if your
issue is resolved I'm glad for you. To resolve this I use a DVDRW and do a HDD Image
with Seagate s/w since all my HDDs are of that vendor. One thing is for sure, I
won't be putting any more coin into BG's pocket anytime soon! Sometimes the idea of
going back a 150 years in time and having a less technical life would be easier,
oh well, another day another dream.

:lol: