NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage on Drive-0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:08 pm 

I installed on disk-0, but it shows no storage, only the boot and config sections. Seems a waste to be on a 250G drive.

Post subject: Re: Storage on Drive-0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Did you configure storage on that drive as well and export it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:54 am 

It won't allow me to do anything more with the drive. I used the first option during setup which is for install and storage. I see no place to export the drive. On the status screen it only shows the 3 drives I have set for storage and on the admin screens all options except check the drive are non-selectable. THinking it was a mistake to purchase the version. I have naslite-v2, but it will not allow the use of all of the drives on the system I am setting up. Another thing I noticed, Your help screens show using a command-line, but I see no way of getting to that either, nor is it in your guide to do so.DO You do refunds?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:35 am 

using the rest of the drive all depends on how you set up the initial install - not near a system - but from memory there are a couple of options - one does what you seem to have got - the other partitions the drive and you can then use the rest - it shows up in naslite as unmounted - just mount it and format - its then there

as to refunds - i can only comment on whats been said in the past - i dont think they do - but thats a decision for others - my comment is [as i say] just my understanding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Good memory Tony!

Option 1 is necessary for a boot and storage partition.
The only options will be 8 to format, format, and config and your all set.

Attachments:
NLinstall.tiff
NLinstall.tiff [ 51.3 KiB | Viewed 42555 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:47 am 

No options are available after using the config and storage or optional flash drive, the entire drive goes to the boot/config only, all other options are asterisked out. Guess I'll go back to Freenas, PITA to get the first drive setup but does allow for the entre drive to be used, as to refund, PAYPAL does have a dispute, so I'll use it. Product does not work as it should. If nobody from the company answers on here by Monday that is what I will be doing, disputing the charge. I have not used the previous version, so not sure if it works properly or not.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:19 am 

i have to say it does work as described - done it many times - again am not near a system but there are other options - look at those - think you may have to remove the boot partition - it certainly cannot be added if you did the first setup wrong [full drive]

failing that delete the partition on another computer and start again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:49 am 

JokeON

JoeBandit gets activation key and asks for refund

JokeOFF :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:07 pm 

robrub wrote:
JokeON

JoeBandit gets activation key and asks for refund

JokeOFF :lol:

and knowing how paypal operate they will probably give a full refund - after all it costs them nothing - i would hope not though :x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:51 pm 

Funny part is that the guy loads it ONE time and likely selects to make the entire drive the boot. Considering that it only takes 5 minutes or so to install a fresh load why would he not just reinstall it properly. Considering that I have built NASLite machines literally dozens of times in the past and currently use the exact configuration this guy is trying to use I can not see where he is having an issue. It takes no time at all to get the box up and running. Rather than screaming refund after only a single time how about doing it right this time and giving the appliance software a REAL try.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 pm 

If You looked at the option 1 for a hard drive install it states" boot config and storage" , storage means to me it can use the remainder of the drive for storage, and nothing works until it has been activated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:05 am 

but thats how commercial software works - you buy it - install it and enter a serial number to activate it - that then unlocks the features - whats different here -if you want FREE then go with freenas and all the problems that gives

once you activate it you accept the licence and the cost

as to storage on disc-0 - as stated - it works if setup correctly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:23 pm 

Joe, I am not here to argue. The software will work if you follow the instructions to the letter. Build and reboot, config the NASLite instance and save said configuration to the drive. Format the remaining drive space on the drive and configure the transport be it FTP, SMB, etc. and reboot. Request the unlock and add it to the configuration saving it. Again reboot and you are done. Go to the IP address and see your exported drive.

The above is from memory since I build the machine only when a major revision comes out and forget it other than that. At present I have 4 drives of both PATA and SATA and no issues at all.

Though FreeNAS is a viable option in general it is far harder to setup and the performance is not as good if all things are equal. Cool down and give NASLite a try, once you get it going and configured it will be worth the minor effort.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Joe, could you please post a screen shot of your storage configuration menu? this would be option 3 from the main menu.

3 - Storage Configuration

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:36 pm 

Here is one of disk1

Attachments:
File comment: disk1 config
naslit-m2-1.jpg
naslit-m2-1.jpg [ 69.74 KiB | Viewed 42425 times ]