NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Storage on Drive-0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:02 am 

tony a wrote:
dont be unkind mike :D - what normal user would have 17 drives hung off a power supply - some ide - some sata and some usb - sounds like someone who hates to throw away 40gig drives :?

Funny enough Tony I thought the same can't be very efficient using USB Drives what if a USB Port/Hub goes down How much data to lose.

Sorry give me a good Raid solution any day :wink:

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 pm 

joebandit wrote:
As I said the first time, it did not show any storage on disk0 after reboot, even before I did anything with the other drives
Joe,
Could it be just a keyboard/choice error for your first install if you hit 2 instead of 1 ? I know, it may sound silly but sometimes, the easiest answer (even silly) may explain a much complicated problem.

Robby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:21 pm 

not possible robby - only your normal user could do that :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:22 am 

I had WHS on here, none of the drives are under 250GB, do You think as MS used to, nobody will ever use more then 20MB.

Call me a power user then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:24 am 

dougal1957 wrote:
tony a wrote:
dont be unkind mike :D - what normal user would have 17 drives hung off a power supply - some ide - some sata and some usb - sounds like someone who hates to throw away 40gig drives :?

Funny enough Tony I thought the same can't be very efficient using USB Drives what if a USB Port/Hub goes down How much data to lose.

Sorry give me a good Raid solution any day :wink:

Doug

These USB drives are raid boxes with 4 drives each. No hardware raid controller, never trusted raid anyway, besides, who wants to waste an entire drive using raid5. If they could be used as JBOD, I would have. Besides. I backup every system in the house, or I did using WHS, which crashed all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 pm 

joebandit wrote:
...No hardware raid controller, never trusted raid anyway, besides, who wants to waste an entire drive using raid5. If they could be used as JBOD, I would have. Besides. I backup every system in the house, or I did using WHS, which crashed all the time.

Good call on the RAID thing, I am sure that IBM, EMC, Hitachi, Oracle, Xratex, Network Appliance, Data Direct Networks, LSI, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple as well as many, many others will be coming around to your same way of thinking. :shock: :roll:

Do you really stand by the above statement? Really? Considering your statement it is clear that you are for sure not the average user, no sir! The average user would not consider hanging that many drives off of the likes of a USB JBOD and consider it a viable global backup repository.

And RAID5 is generally going to come at the cost of N-2, hot spare for background rebuilds of a failed stripe.

I would strongly recommend that you reassess your misinformed opinion regarding RAID and the relative security it brings to your valuable data all at the cost of a little bit of storage.

Tony and Ralph put up a fine little appliance for the basic user looking for the basic NAS they can deploy in minutes. They support Hardware RAID for a reason, with the right hardware and implementation it increases data integrity and storage speeds on both reads and writes.

Now, you are making it very hard for me to refrain from wholesale crapping on you when you make statements such as the one above. I and others will be more than happy to help educate you on ways that you can better utilize you hardware. The point of this forum is support.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:28 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
joebandit wrote:
...No hardware raid controller, never trusted raid anyway, besides, who wants to waste an entire drive using raid5. If they could be used as JBOD, I would have. Besides. I backup every system in the house, or I did using WHS, which crashed all the time.

Good call on the RAID thing, I am sure that IBM, EMC, Hitachi, Oracle, Xratex, Network Appliance, Data Direct Networks, LSI, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple as well as many, many others will be coming around to your same way of thinking. :shock: :roll:

Do you really stand by the above statement? Really? Considering your statement it is clear that you are for sure not the average user, no sir! The average user would not consider hanging that many drives off of the likes of a USB JBOD and consider it a viable global backup repository.

And RAID5 is generally going to come at the cost of N-2, hot spare for background rebuilds of a failed stripe.

I would strongly recommend that you reassess your misinformed opinion regarding RAID and the relative security it brings to your valuable data all at the cost of a little bit of storage.

Tony and Ralph put up a fine little appliance for the basic user looking for the basic NAS they can deploy in minutes. They support Hardware RAID for a reason, with the right hardware and implementation it increases data integrity and storage speeds on both reads and writes.

Now, you are making it very hard for me to refrain from wholesale crapping on you when you make statements such as the one above. I and others will be more than happy to help educate you on ways that you can better utilize you hardware. The point of this forum is support.

Mike

Touche'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 pm 

From what I see on here is a bunch of near sighted morons with thier head stuck up the rectum so far they can't see anything else. Remove from here as I will no longer be a person who partakes in a forum where people give smart ass answers and have no idea what a normal user is. As far as recommending naslite to anyone for use, forget it. I was looking for an easy to use solution to use a lot of drives on one system, not have buy multiple copies of one piece of softare that doe snot cut it except for 2 drives.I might as well be saving a bunch of 40g drives to use, 2 at a time. I guess it is back to MS and all the crashing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm 

joebandit wrote:
From what I see on here is a bunch of near sighted morons with thier head stuck up the rectum so far they can't see anything else. Remove from here as I will no longer be a person who partakes in a forum where people give smart ass answers and have no idea what a normal user is. As far as recommending naslite to anyone for use, forget it. I was looking for an easy to use solution to use a lot of drives on one system, not have buy multiple copies of one piece of softare that doe snot cut it except for 2 drives.I might as well be saving a bunch of 40g drives to use, 2 at a time. I guess it is back to MS and all the crashing.

bye :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm 

joebandit wrote:

The EXACT same thing could also be said about you sir. Minus the grammar and spelling errors of course.

joebandit wrote:
I was looking for an easy to use solution to use a lot of drives on one system, not have buy multiple copies of one piece of softare that doe snot cut it except for 2 drives."

Again you show your total ignorance in this case by stating that NL fails to support more than a couple of drives. I in fact have had 68 drives hung off of a single machine with no issues at all. This was Fibre channel, SATA and PATA all running at the same time using JBOD chassis. NASLite limits are hard to explore due to the sheer depth of support of drives and controllers rolled in the package, you for sure are not capable of reaching them with your consumer hardware.

It seems clear to myself, and likely others here as well, that you came here to take umbrage and tell those of us with a likely far deeper knowledge of the subject matter that we are stupid and that you are not the normal user. It is clear that you are the one with near sightedness and you are incapable of seeing anything beyond that of your narrow and distorted view of the storage appliance field.

Now, stop acting like a spoiled child as I really have very little desire to get into any sort of a protracted flame war and you have nothing to be gained from it. The hostel tone of your first postings is not necessary and generally gets the hackles up on some of us as you have no doubt noticed. Instead a simple, well stated question or questions tend to illicit a positive response from those of us that regularly monitor these forums. Soooo... how about you clearly state what hardware you have on hand and what your desired outcome for this endeavor is. In turn, there are a number of very knowledgeable persons, and yes I do include my self in this group, here that I am sure will still be more than willing to help steer you in the right direction and try and answer your question/s.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:57 pm 

Tony wrote:
The version of the software is not significant since all versions use exactly the same installer. As I said in my previous email, how can you troubleshoot with all those drives in your NAS? How do you know what you boot from and what you configure from?

You start by discussing Disk-0, show Disk-1 as an example case on a NAS with 17 drives on it, so I'm confused as to what is your boot drive, what is your config drive and how many of each you have on your system.

1. Remove all drives except your 250G and boot CD-ROM.
2. Boot the installer and install to the 250G drive using the correct option.
3. Remove the CD and reboot using the 250G drive.
4. Login to admin and format the 250G drive.
5. After you format the 250G drive, make sure you mount it.
6. Reboot and you will have a mounted storage drive.

You can do all that without license or unlock. 8)

One thing I have to note is that there are many instances of M2-64 out there so if the installer was confused as to how to address the installation you request, this forum will reflect that.

Regardless, try the above and let's go from there...

Thanks for this instruction. I got it to work on my Disk-0. The trick was to disconnect the other drives then boot the installer.
:D