NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:05 pm 

I am a registered user of NASLite-M2 1.63.

I am experiencing the following problem... If I hit my NAS by typing "http://192.168.1.111" into my browser, it works as expected.

However, if I try to hit it via my Mapped Network Drive (drive N: mapped to \\NASbox\Disk-1), it fails.

What ports do I need open in my firewall to allow that type of access? Or is it something else that is preventing me?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:07 am 

If the computer that tries to access the NASbox is under Win 7, then quit the session and open it again. This will relink the mapped drive. And you have to do this silly operation every time the Win 7 PC hibernates :(

At least, this is what I have to do with my Win 7 laptop (since the instal of SP1...)

Robby

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am 

I never had this problem that others reported about not reconnecting after hibernating (sleep) a Win7Pro64 system ... UNTIL ... now. Which is after I upgraded to SP1 a couple days ago. This is super crazy ! And I am unable to re-connect without rebooting the entire Win7 system. Log-out user and re-login does not help.

Interestingly ... although it is still primarily a Win7 problem ... I have **NO** problem with two other servers that have each one shared drived exported. Win7 connects (and always has) to them just fine. Before or after sleep mode. In other words ... there's a fix REQUIRED in NASLITE !

If I use Windows Explorer to "disconnect" and then re-connect the Z: drive I get the following error pop-up window:
"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured:
The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
"

:evil:

Edit: additional info: If I use the command "net use z: \\<ip>\Shares" in a "DOS" session, I get the same message, except that the first line says: "System error 58 has occurred."

Of course, googling for this error ... is not all that helpful. Again ... my two other servers (ClearOS) are behaving just fine ! I don't want to reboot my Win7 machine multiple times a day !

:evil:

Edit2: More info. I disconnected Z:, rebooted Win7. I connected Z:, it connected fine. (As a reminder): An old known issue: the Z: drive shows as "4.56 MB free of 15.4 MB", whereas my ClearOS drives drive show the proper free space (in the GB range). I have no more time right now to investigate this, but will update if I find something new. In the meantime, I think it's time Ralph and Tony get involved a little.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:21 am 

georg wrote:
... Which is after I upgraded to SP1 a couple days ago. This is super crazy ! And I am unable to re-connect without rebooting the entire Win7 system. Log-out user and re-login does not help.

Interestingly ... although it is still primarily a Win7 problem ... I have **NO** problem with two other servers that have each one shared drived exported. Win7 connects (and always has) to them just fine. Before or after sleep mode. In other words ... there's a fix REQUIRED in NASLITE !

Hi Georg

I'm one of those who have the "non connection" problem with a Win7 x 64 SP1 and NL. My laptop (the Win7 computer) connects to all the other computers (XP PRO SP3) on the same LAN but not the NL server (2.6.30.3-64-CORE3). Till now, logging out and back in used to do the trick. This did not work today and I had to reboot the laptop in order to see the NL server on the laptop :(

For more information, the mapped drive is to \\serveur\disk-0 \etc. If I type the \\serveur\ in the address bar, it won't show the drives on the server. If I put \\192.168.x.x\ (the IP of my server) then I can see the drives of the server and navigate BUT the drives are in read only mode and cannot be modified :( I tried mapping using the IP address but it didn't solve the problem either.

So, as you say, there is an NL problem with Win 7 x64 SP1.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 am 

Thanks for that confirmation, robrub.

I have always mapped the NL server as "\\<ip-address>\Shares" and it has always worked without trouble until SP1.

My two other Linux (actually ClearOS) servers are still mapping just fine, and are also mapped with ip-address.

After hibernation and starting Windows Explorer ("WE"), sometimes all three servers show a red "X" on the icon if I start WE immediately after the PC wakes up. But for the ClearOS shares they go away if I click on them. I think (to be verified) the red "X"s also go away by themselves after a minute or two. This is NOT the case for the NL share. Instead I get the error message, and in some cases the drive actually disappears and no longer shows in WE.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:48 pm 

From another thread: ("Been quiet around here of late"):
robrub wrote:
georg wrote:
A fix for the Win7SP1 problem, I hope :wink:

+1 on that but any ideas on what is not working ? Lets facilitate their job.

I rebooted the NL server without changing anything on the XP Pro and Win7 x64 computers. Well, all the XP Pro computers reconnected as soon as I double clicked on the LAN drive letter but I had to reboot th Win 7 laptop in order to access the NL server.

Robby

Yes, you don't need to reboot the NL, only the Win7 machine.

I can't help much at the very low-level technical detail. All I know is:

1. ClearOS shares don't have this problem (It's what they call "flexshares" (see here))
Quote:
uname --all
Linux system.clearos.lan 2.6.18-164.6.1.v5 #1 SMP Wed Dec 2 03:17:45 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

2. Windows Explorer accessing NL since at least version 2 ( I am currently using v2.60 11-2009 ) has had a problem properly displaying the amount of disk space (MB rather than GB); I mention this only as it may be related.

3. The System Error 58 says "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.". So, IOW, Win7 expects some type of acknowledgment or response from the server; not sure if it has to do with authentication, Workgroup, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:13 am 

Me again with some more testing.

If I reboot the NL server but keep the 3 XP PRO SP3 computers and the Win 7 x64 SP1 laptop running:

• All XP computers can reconnect to the R: (my mapped LAN drive letter) as soon as I double click on R: in My computer
  • Win 7 laptop will NOT connect to the NL server by double click on R:

If Win 7 laptop goes to hibernation and then wakes up, it will connect to the XP computers but NOT to the mapped LAN drive on the NL server. This result is the same if the mapped drive links to \\Serveur\Disk-0\etc or to \\Serveur\shares\Disk-0\etc. If the mapped drive links to the IP of the server, the link will stay (but I'm not sure it stays after every wake-up from hibernation) but I cannot modify the files on the server.

After wake-up from hibernation, if I browse on the local LAN (with the Win 7 laptop) and try to open \\Serveur\, it will not open either.

And to mix-up things a bit more ;), usually, logging OFF the user on Win 7 and then logging IN the same user will make the mapped drive work BUT not every time :( I don't know why it works only 80% of the time...

Voilà. I hope this may help a bit more the search of the origin of the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:58 pm 

I use Windows-Explorer frequently. Just now when I started it up on the Win7 PC and pointed to "Computer" (displaying all drives, local and networked) it shows the NL server as "NTFS" type (and no other info, including no "space free" bar) while it shows the ClearOS drives with the "space free" bar (although oddly the proportion free is correct on only one of the two).

When using F5 to re-display the drives the "NTFS" vanished. Trying to connect to it resulted in "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation." (as before).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 am 
Site Admin

The connection problem after sleep appears to be related to the LM2 issues Win7 has introduced into the equation. Ralph and I are looking at a solution implementing latest samba stable. The size however is STAGGERING, (5 x current) so integrating into our current ramdisk is taking some doing.

We are however making progress and hope to have an update addressing Win7 soon.

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:57 pm 

Thanks Tony :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:54 pm 

I'm having similar issues accessing my NASLite after upgrading to Win7 SP1. Very happy the issue has been acknowledged and a fix being considered.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:38 pm 

Glad to hear I'm not alone with this problem. Same issue here - started last week when I upgraded my Win764-Pro machine to SP1. After I traced the issue to SP1 I uninstalled it. The problem was resolved at that point but I'd prefer to install SP1 if I could.

Strangely today I started having the same problem again even though I haven't installed SP1 again. All I know that's changed is windows did an auto-update - but that didn't include SP1. I wonder if another recent windows update included the changes in SP1 that impact this issue?

Regardless, happy to hear the NASLite team is working on a fix!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:45 am 

New NASLite update was just released to fix the Samba issue. Very impressed how quickly the patch was released. Thank you!

UPDATE: So far all testing has gone well. No more access issues. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:19 pm 

I have nas 2 but when I retrieve the download link I'm told it has been discontinued; but I see it on the products page. I need to upgrade because I'm having the win 7 issue. I downloaded NASLite-2 CDD CD-ROM in May of 2008.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 pm 

Nevermind, I'm a dork - thanks!