NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 am 

Hi
Now I am in up to my neck...just installed NASLite-M2 and added two drives and started transferring all my customer files......!!

Now when I start the server it wont recognise my drives and wants to format them.....have I now lost all my customer files?

I was under the impression that NASLite accepts its own drives and not anything else...

Can someone help!

bookie32

Last edited by bookie56 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:08 pm 

Hi Again!

Well, I have tried and tried and it wont see the drive...I booted an Ubuntu cd and that could mount the drive...next problem....even though NASLite has stored the files...it doesn't encode them with the Swedish letters and I have to go in and manually change every file that has a Swedish letter in it.....

Why would NASLite using ext3 not encode my files?!!

Not impressed...it is going to cost me hours...not sure at this stage if I will trust NASLite with my files again!

Does NASLite support Swedish?

bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm 

Hi again!
Well, not possible to rename everything....would take me months, so if no one has an answer to this problem then I am stuffed.

bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:19 pm 

but if you are transferring files where are the originals - surely you have not deleted them - you need to post a lot more info as what you are doing is not clear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:27 pm 

bookie56 wrote:
just installed NASLite-M2 and added two drives and started transferring all my customer files......!!
Hi

What do you mean by added 2 drives ? Did you physically put in 2 hard drives ? Were they formatted ? Which file system ? Were the drives visible via telnet access to the naslite box ? If yes, were they exported as R/W (read/write) ? Did you save the configuration before doing a reboot ?

Do you have a RAID card ? How did you transfered the files ? ...

For your info, NL only works with Linux formated drives and not NTFS or FAT systems.

Drives must be exported to be seen on the LAN.

No need to post 5 messages, give us just ONE message but with plenty of information and you'll get help.

Regards

Robby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:34 pm 

Hi robrub!
I installed two drives and they were added and formated by NASLite....yes, I did save my settings...

I configured and saved all settings and it don't give any indication of a problem

When I started the server today it doesn't show either drive...when I go into admin it doesn't give me an option apart from format or smart test the drive and I can't do that because the drive isn't mounted...?

So, forgive me when I say I am not impressed!
bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:07 pm 

Hi tony a!
Missed your post....
I have had so much trouble with storing files that I transferred the files and reused the drives. I have used NASLite for some time without problems but upgraded and now everthing is crap....
Sorry, if I sound a bit narked...I am trying to find a product I can trust and I know my way around Linux, so I am not new to Ext3 which NASLite uses...
I was a bit premature in erasing the original drives...need the space...
I didn't imagine I would start transfering files yesterday and today no drive is accepted?
If NASLite doesn't recognise its own formated drives - then I will have to think again.
This has literally put me back months...

Sorry, not my intention to offend!

booke56

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:30 pm 

NasLite is fine - i have played - messed and generally made a mess and have never lost a file - start from there, take a breath and think about what you [may] have done

my first suggestion is usually to boot from a linux disc but you have done that - i would try that again and double check

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:39 pm 

Hi again!
Well, I can get access via ubuntu, but it isn't recognising the three Swedish letters å, ä, ö and that means I must physically change every file to be even able to copy it to another drive....
I have made loads of mistakes...just was wanted to trust NASLite to read one of its own formated drives....
I will go in and change everything manually and then ....I don't really know...have so much to do and now I have to start over...

Thanks anyway!
bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 pm 

have no idea on the swedish stuff - but surely thats not Naslites fault - that has to be down to linux as its that that Naslite is based on

google may have a solution

if ubuntu can read the drive then naslite must be able to ??? - try a reinstall of naslite on another drive and see if that helps - i dont know enough about the finer points but double check all the settings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:50 pm 

Hi again!
I have installed it on a flash drive and redone it several times...
The encoding isn't typical linux but how files are coded to be rendered...I use linux all the time to rescue files for my customers and have never had this problem when mounting a drive...especially a linux formated one...?
No the language problem doesn't have to be NASLite but there must be something in there encoding and formating of a drive?
I have begun the laborious job of renaming...
bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:13 pm 

Tell us more about your hardware (motherboard, disk drives (mfg, model, raid), etc).

In BIOS is there an option set for AHCI for the harddisks ?

Post your Syslog after you boot NASLite.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:20 pm 

There is nothing "encoding" files on NASLite. You have special characters that is mucking the transfers. I would start by booting into a Swedish variant of Linux and try and work back from there.

I can't believe that you erased the source drives before doing a reboot and bit for bit check of your valuable data. Bad form indeed.

You need to be very verbose on what you did, in great detail, and what you are trying to do now.

As a side note: You always disconnect the drives you have data on before adding and formatting new drives. After a reboot and check of the new formatted drive you can then pull down the server and reconnect the existing drives. The export names of the preexisting drives may change but the data will still be there.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:43 am 

Hi mikeiver1 :D
OK! Let me explain this again. I went through the procedure of installing and formating my drives with NASLite-M2 after saving all my settings I started adding customer files...(yes, agree...bad form, but don't need it rubbing in my face from two members).
I turned off the server for the night and booted it yesterday to continue and there was no drives configured....and yes I did test the drives by setting them up and rebooting a couple of times to make sure my settings were saved....

As to the Swedish characters...yes they are a pain and when I booted a Linux livecd I always choose a Swedish setup....
The strange thing is every file with a Swedish character had "wrong encoding" added to the file....

Again, I will point out that I use Linux to save customer files on a regular basis and have never had encoding problems.....

I can even do an install of say Mandriva in Swedish...save files in Swedish and then boot any Linux live cd and see the files with right encoding......so I am not blaming NASLite for that...just something isn't right and this might be interesting for the guys developing NASLite

NASLite formats a drive with ext3 which is very stable...although things have moved on as you know to ext4...I am just curious to know if NASLite does something else to the drives....? Most versions of Linux alow specific language choices on install to make sure right encoding exists...don't get such a choice with NASLite...not that it should make a difference...

The drives were exported because I was in Windows adding files to the server......

When I couldn't see the drives I thought about hardware problems, but this computer hasn't shown any signs of that....

Also, I fully expected NASLite to see the drives even if I reinstalled NASLite.....the fact it didn't see them when I booted the server yesterday is a mistery.....I will point out that because NASLite couldn't see my drives I disconnected them while reinstalling NASLite...

So, If it didn see them then how can I get it to see them now?

bookie56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:10 am 

Hi again!
A little update on my problem...I reformated one drive that had nothing on it exported and saved settings...
I copied one customer folder to this drive and everything looked OK...I rebooted and everthing looked OK...
Test:
I booted from Ubuntu live cd and mounted the newly formated drive in NASLite....same problem with the Swedish characters....just "?" and a "invalid encoding" on every file with a Swedish character...å,ä,ö

I then rebooted to NASLite and it took ages to check the drive before giving OK! When I checked the drive there wasn't any files with "invalid encoding" I rebooted without making any changes and the drive was accepted straight away.

I then rebooted to Ubuntu again and checcked the drive...same problem "?" for Swedish characters. When I rebooted it took forever again for the drive to be checked ...but there wasn't any "invalid encoding" on any files.....?

I can only assume that while the drive is "busy" it is being recoded again.....

There must be a way for me to recode the files in Linux and back them up and start again...instead of losing them?...

I can't copy them at the moment because of the error...

bookie56