NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 am 

I'm currently moving to new hardware... Currently my boot/config drive is a 20gb IDE drive... My new ATOM board only has (2) sata which will be occupied by data drives a PCI slot and some internal USB headers.

I'm obviously having to make a change here but wanted some input on whats the best route...

I could either go with a cable to convert the usb header to a female port and use a flash drive internally, or, get a compact flash adapter, CF card and a PCI riser

Whats the performance / reliability going USB vs CF?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 am 

I guess in terms of going CF I could get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

and two smaller CF's and RAID-1 them for the "reliability"... I'd have to check the docs to see if that raid adapter would be supported

Ideally something like this would be great for rear accessability:

...but that requires an IDE connector!

On the USB end of things this seems pretty simple:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 am 

i use your second type of cf adaptor - good as you say to get at the cf card from the rear - go to ebay if you want one - they are much cheaper than that - but does require an ide connector - if you are going the route of putting an ide card in then if you have the bays just stay with your 20gig drive - assuming you can boot from it - which is also true of a cf card as an ide drive

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:41 am 

Nothing wrong with the reliability of a USB boot/config drive. There's not much lost even if it goes bad (you can easily build a new one from scratch in minutes). The CF solution is less elegant in my opinion, given the fact that it needs an IDE port (which you don't have) or eat a PCI slot. That PCI slot could come in handy later (more HDDs for data !)

And you don't see a significant performance impact since it's for (infrequent) booting only.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 pm 

I'm in agreement with george on this one... Not having an IDE header at my disposal adds to the complexity and cost... I already have a suitable flash drive for the job so its just a matter of getting the cable...

Time to shop!

=)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:32 pm 

scrupul0us wrote:
I'm in agreement with george on this one... Not having an IDE header at my disposal adds to the complexity and cost... I already have a suitable flash drive for the job so its just a matter of getting the cable...

Time to shop!

=)

Bear in mind that you only need 32 Mb for the boot device don't go overboard on it i.e. don't waste a perfectly usable larger pen drive if you dont have to!

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 pm 

no worries there... I have a 256mb one from the days of old that should do the trick...

I think what I may do is get the whole thing setup with my old data discs and what not and then DD an iso of the USB pen to a CD for safe keeping... worst case then I can just re-image a new flash drive and be back on my feet...

that is so long as NL doesn't get cranky over the vendor differences of the usb sticks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 pm 

Or you can buy 2 or 3 identical USB sticks of that size really cheap and set them all up initially. Then -- if your config ever changes -- do a "Save Configuration" to each of them while the system is running, and put the extra one(s) into a safe place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:24 pm 

Personally I prefer the CF solution. The ATA port is next to useless now and so no big loss. I use one of these, http://cgi.ebay.com/Compact-Flash-CF-IDE-Bootable-Adapter-40-Pin-Female-/110523608216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bbb86c98 which I bought 5 of in an auction. They work great and I found that machines that are picky about booting from a USB drive always boot from these.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:08 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Personally I prefer the CF solution. The ATA port is next to useless now and so no big loss. I use one of these, http://cgi.ebay.com/Compact-Flash-CF-IDE-Bootable-Adapter-40-Pin-Female-/110523608216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bbb86c98 which I bought 5 of in an auction. They work great and I found that machines that are picky about booting from a USB drive always boot from these.

Mike

Unfortunately Mike his Atom board doesn't have an ATA port so makes it more difficult to go that route.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm 

Is it possible setup disk mirroring for the boot/config drive? That would pretty slick to have it backup to a spare key although your way works too =)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:04 pm 

scrupul0us wrote:
Is it possible setup disk mirroring for the boot/config drive? That would pretty slick to have it backup to a spare key although your way works too =)

Just as a matter of interest which Atom board do you have?

As for mirroring the boot device I dont think you can and anyway is there any point as you can backup the config if I remember correctly and it only takes a few minutes to install from the CD.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:34 pm 

http://www.mini-box.com/D510MO-mini-ITX-Intel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm 

In this case I would simply put the boot on the first drive and use the rest as data. The boot partition is only like 32MB or so I think, there is more wasted space in the FS! It doesn't effect the drive access at all. Screw the USB and CF.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 pm 

well ive already got 4tb of data on NL partitioned drives... no sense in all the nonsense involved to move /boot there... ive got 6 matched 256 usb sticks (hello convention SWAG) that I can dedicate to the box for /boot...

If stability becomes a real issue I can always look to a "higher end" usb stick/drive or go PCI riser + sata card + tiny laptop drive etc

I mainly use the NAS as a torrent DVR so the I/O is pretty low

At any rate, as stated, having the /boot not on the data drives means quick rebuild with the install CD if something goes plop =)

Now it just comes down to free time ;)