NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:12 am 

I have some avi and mts files that I have stored on my NASLite-M2 server.

When I stream them from the server to a network connected PC they display stuttering; runs a bit, halts briefly, runs a bit more, halts briefly etc. The file size is about 7gb. I used Windows Media Player.

I took one of these files and converted it to mpg, at a file size of about 1gb. This file streamed perfectly.

Would appreciate knowing why I might be having problems with large HD files. Is this a case of NASLite-M2 not liking them or maybe a server limitation [I'm running this on an old AMD 800mhz 1gb RAM box] or something else.

BTW I use the NASLite-M2 box to feed a SageTV HD300 and that displays the same problem as running on a network connected PC.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:04 am 

at a sort of tangent but may point you in a direction - had same problem - not on M2 - but streaming files on a very low spec box with a sata drive on a cheap sata card

installed a different card - Maxtor [promise chipset] and all problems solved

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:11 am 

wacole wrote:
I took one of these files and converted it to mpg, at a file size of about 1gb. This file streamed perfectly.

Would appreciate knowing why I might be having problems with large HD files.
Hi Bill.

It seems like a slow lan speed problem or slow disk read speeds. When you converted the file to mpg (1/7th of the initial size), the bits/sec dropped by a factor of x7 and you could see the movies.

See if you have a fast LAN connection, no interrupt problems (LAN card using the same IRQ as another item) and look for disk read / write speeds. Look to the CPU usage page and see if the box is not too slow /old (but this factor is less probable)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 am 

Thanks you all. Good clues. It may be my USB connected drive [Samsung 1.5TB] which holds the HD files. I'll try moving them to an internal drive and see what happens.

Really appreciate your passing along the collective wisdom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am 

wacole wrote:
Thanks you all. Good clues. It may be my USB connected drive [Samsung 1.5TB] which holds the HD files. I'll try moving them to an internal drive and see what happens.

Really appreciate your passing along the collective wisdom.

USB Connected drive erm a definate candidate for poor performance on HD content I would say.