NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:02 pm 

I have a Windows machine that I use to edit/process video files. I am trying to transfer those files to my NASLite-M2 server so that I can stream them from a single location. I use Windows Explorer to bring up the files' subdirectory and then cut the file from Windows and paste to NASLite-2 subdirectory. The files are all .mpg. The average file size is about 2gb.

The first and second transfers run OK, though a bit slowly, but no matter. On the third transfer Windows Explorer reports that the file is already on the NASLite-M2 box, even though it wasn't when file transfer started and is when file transfer ended. The fourth transfer doesn't, and manifests this by doing nothing.

The disk on the NASLite-M2 box that I transfer these files to is a USB-connected 1TB external.

All this is reproducible, and not a one-off.

I don't know if this is a Windows or a NASLite-M2 issue or an external USB drive issue. If anyone has an idea or two where I need to go looking to solve this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:16 am 

Are you really still running M2 1.0 as your signature suggests? I'd begin by updating to the latest version (1.64) and see if the same behaviour persists.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:46 am 

Thanks very much for the tip. I'm actually at 1.02 [need to fix the signature] and have written the business folks to see how and how much it will cost to upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 am 

to upgrade go to your original email confirmation from server elements - it should have a download link in it - this is good for a number of free downloads or free downloads for 6 months

if thats out of date the clicked link should tell you the cost of resetting the download period and allow you to download the latest version - its $4.49 for Naslite 2 - would guess about the same for M2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:10 am 

Thanks for the info on upgrading. Have gotten a copy of the latest M2 and will upgrade in the next day or two.

I did notice that the Toshiba USB external 1TB drive is not on the list of storage devices and suspect that that may be the problem. Never occurred to me to look at that list.